cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

NeilandAshley
Joining in

My landline has been out of action for a couple of weeks now- no dialling tone, just a quiet buzzing "interference" sound. We are unable to dial in or out. All connections seem to be fine within the house. Unfortunately I keep going round in circles on the website with no obvious way to contact an engineer other than via this forum... Any help?

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @NeilandAshley,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your landline service recently. I've checked over things on our systems, and I'm unable to detect any faults currently that would explain this problem that you're experiencing.

How are you currently connecting your landline handset to the service? Is it connected into the back of your router, or via a wall socket?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

NeilandAshley
Joining in

via a wall socket. Properly plugged in

Thanks for confirming, just to check have you been able to run a fault test by logging into our service page with your My VM details? This can be done here.

If nothing shows there, you can also check our landline support page here for further help. If this doesn't help, please let us know so we can assist further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

I have reset the hub as advised after the fault test, but (unsurprisingly) that has made no difference to my landline, which, as I have said, does not come in via the hub, but is via its own separate phone line. It would seem, from my untrained perspective, that there is an issue with the phone cabling coming into the house from the street, since we are connected up to the previously-working sockets within the house (there has been no change), but there is no dialling tone. Don't I need an engineer?

Thanks for checking @NeilandAshley 

I'd love to take a closer look into this so will pop you a PM 📩  now and we can take it from there.

Speak soon! 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @NeilandAshley 

I've booked a technician for you to come out and have a look into the issue. You can find confirmation of the visit via your 👉 online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes! 😃 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs