cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS5 packet loss and high latency making gaming impossible

Longman
Joining in

Hi there

This is my first post in the community but I have had VM for a number of years.
I started to play the new Call of Duty (COD) game recently but its becoming impossible, COD displays information on latency and packet loss in game and I noticed it went extremely high and the game kicked me out of the online servers.

This is consistent and ruins my experience, literally I cant play and also lose in game bonuses when kicked.

Package:
M500 Volt speed boost

Equipment:
Playstation 5
VM 'Hub 3'
Mesh wifi booster tp-link Deco 5

I do use a tp-link Deco M5 to boost mesh wifi in my home and this is linked by LAN connection to my PS5, which I know VM won't offer support for but this is not the issue as I have also connected directly and have some BQM results below which are irrelevant to this hardware.

BQM results:
BQM1 
BQM2
BQM3

Speed test results:

Longman_0-1703158453003.png

Can anybody help me? I rarely get chance to play gaming online as a Dad so its important that when I do get time that I can rely on it 😞 

Thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, the picture of the TP-Link shows a speed that would be associated with a 10/100 network.   This is why I suspect the TP-Link is not up to the job.  Look at getting a PLA with Gigabit networking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Using a wired connection direct to the Hub, what does this site show when you run the FULL tests.

www.samknows.com/realspeed   Post the results for comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the message, can I run that website on my PS5? There is no internet browser to access that website

Ok managed it, took 2 pictures below the first is when my PS5 is plugged directly into one of my tp-link discs via ethernet and the other is ethernet cable into my VM Hub3 

1000025121.jpg

1000025122.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, your Hub is getting the full speed, but your PLA is the issue. Is it a Gigabit NIC ?  Or it could be the house wiring, but most likely the NIC.  As for the direct connection to the PS5, not too sure why you are not getting near the full 500.  Try another Cat 6 cable if you have one, and swap the ports in the Hub.

Thanks, I tried new cable and port but the same results. I don't know how to check the NIC though, it's just a playstation 5, is that what you mean by PLA being the issue? Because when I run the Sam test on my mobile phone for example I get 446 download, 52 upload.

Problem is that I don't want my PS5 in this room where my Hub3 is

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

use hub in modem mode wire  PS5 to Deco 

---------------------------------------------------------------

I put my Hub3 into modem mode and now I have no internet access whatsoever and I can't access 192.168.0.1 to put it back to the other mode

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, the picture of the TP-Link shows a speed that would be associated with a 10/100 network.   This is why I suspect the TP-Link is not up to the job.  Look at getting a PLA with Gigabit networking.

Longman
Joining in

Thanks guys, appreciate your help. I have reset my VM router and will look at the advisory options