cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gmail verification failures

GeoffChad
Joining in

I keep getting something like this:---

We could not deliver your message as the email provider of the person you were trying to send to has rejected it. If you have tried to send to multiple people, we have listed the people who did not get the message below and the reason.

Your message was rejected by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com for the following reason:

5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.
    5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM.
    5.7.26  Authentication results:
    5.7.26  DKIM = did not pass
    5.7.26  SPF [gmail.com] with ip: [213.120.69.105] = did not pass
    5.7.26  To mitigate this issue, please visit Gmail's authentication guide
    5.7.26 for instructions on setting up authentication:
    5.7.26  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication f11-20020adfdb4b000000b0031feb98413esi119114wrj.514 - gsmtp

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<xxx@gmail.com>
Reporting-MTA: dns; re-prd-fep-041.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net
Arrival-Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:13:35 +0100
Received-From-MTA: dns; re-prd-rgout-005.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net (10.2.54.8)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <xxx@gmail.com>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (64.233.166.27)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.
550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM.
550-5.7.26
550-5.7.26  Authentication results:
550-5.7.26  DKIM = did not pass
550-5.7.26  SPF [gmail.com] with ip: [213.120.69.105] = did not pass
550-5.7.26
550-5.7.26  To mitigate this issue, please visit Gmail's authentication guide
550-5.7.26 for instructions on setting up authentication:
550 5.7.26  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication f11-20020adfdb4b000000b0031feb98413esi119114wrj.514 - gsmtp

I can't do anything it asks me to. What do I need to do?

8 REPLIES 8

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey GeoffChad, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

You normally get this email if the email has blocked you or been disabled.

Have you tried to see if this is happening with all emails or is it just this one? Cheers  

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Does this apply to you? 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GeoffChad 

"550-5.7.26  SPF [gmail.com] with ip: [213.120.69.105] = did not pass"

That line of the error message is saying that the email you are sending is being sent from a BT mail server [213.120.69.105].

Gmail are rejecting your email because that BT server is not authorised to be sending emails from the email address you are using.

So the questions that come immediately to mind are:

1. What is the domain name of the email address you are sending from, for example @virginmedia.com, @ntlworld.com? 
  2. It seems that you are using an email app such as Microsoft's Outlook or Mail to send your email, If so, check the app's settings for the email account you are using. What is the name of the Outgoing (SMTP)  server?  Is it mail.btinternet.com?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It is just my gmail emails that get bounced back - and not every one. My other emails (and my wife's gmail emails) get through without any problems

GC

No. I am using gmail. However, I am thinking of getting my own domain if only to get away from gmail.

-I guess it is virginmedia.com, as I am on a fibre link from them.  Outgoing SMTP is "GmailSMTP Server", not mail.btinternet.com. That one is switched off. However, email from my old bt account get sent without any problems, even though I am no longer a subscribed to btinternet.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Is it 'smtp.gmail.com'.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GeoffChad wrote:

"-I guess it is virginmedia.com,as I am on a fibre link from them"

The SMTP server is completely independent of the Internet service provider you are signed up to.

However, the SMTP server should be the correct one for the email address you are using

• So @gmail.com emails need to use the  "smtp.gmail.com" server, 
  • @btinternet.com emails need to use the  "mail.btinternet.com" server
  • @virginmedia.com, @ntlworld.com and @blueyonder.co.uk emails need to use the  "smtp.virginmedia.com" server

Most email services will check that incoming emails have been sent using the correct SMTP server. So if you use the "mail.btinternet.com" SMTP server to send an email from an @gmail.com address then you are likely to get exactly the error message that you posted. Gmail will reject the email because the BT server is not authorised to send emails with an @gmail address,

I know you say that "mail.btinternet.com" SMTP server is "switched off" but if your BT emails can still be sent without any problems that does suggest that BT server is still being used by your software.

Based on what you have posted the BT server does also seem to have been used to send the gmail messages that are being rejected.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks