cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail down AGAIN

adrianjacobs
Dialled in

Nearly every time I try to see my VM emails I get "Connection error - the service is not available right now"

I've not ben able to access my emails on my laptop for over a month now.  Windows 11, Chrome browser, all latest updates.

What am i supposed to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote:

"Connection error - the service is not available right now"

The usual reason for that error is a corrupt cookie stored in the browser you are using. You can check that by:

1) Accessing the VM website using a different browser

or..

2) Try using a private or incognito window in your existing browser. Depending on which browser you use you can open a private or incognito browser window by using the keyboard shortcut combination Ctrl-Shift-N or Ctrl-Shift-P

Both 1) and 2) will result in the browser downloading a fresh copy of the necessary cookies. So if the website works ok you know it's corrupt cookie stored in your usual browser. The final step will then be to delete the VM cookies from your usual browser and you can then go back to using the standard browser window rather than using a private / incognito browser.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @adrianjacobs 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you back. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your email! Can I confirm is this email account attached to a current and active broadband account with us? 

Are you able to view the emails on any other devices?

Yes it is and yes I can (on Android tablet and android phone) 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote:

"Connection error - the service is not available right now"

The usual reason for that error is a corrupt cookie stored in the browser you are using. You can check that by:

1) Accessing the VM website using a different browser

or..

2) Try using a private or incognito window in your existing browser. Depending on which browser you use you can open a private or incognito browser window by using the keyboard shortcut combination Ctrl-Shift-N or Ctrl-Shift-P

Both 1) and 2) will result in the browser downloading a fresh copy of the necessary cookies. So if the website works ok you know it's corrupt cookie stored in your usual browser. The final step will then be to delete the VM cookies from your usual browser and you can then go back to using the standard browser window rather than using a private / incognito browser.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

adrianjacobs
Dialled in

Thanks, I've just arrived abroad on holiday but I'll check it again when I get back

OK, works on an incognito window. How do I delete the VM cookies from my Chrome browser? 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote:

"works on an incognito window."

Good to hear that worked for you

"How do I delete the VM cookies from my Chrome browser?"

Follow this link  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer...delete-cookies-from-a-site   and then click on the "Delete cookies from a site" section just below the heading "Delete specific cookies"

Coenoby

Hi, thanks but i dont get on option for "3rd party cookies" (and i don't think VM counts as a 3rd party anyway).  All I can do is delete all.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote
:All I can do is delete all.

Apologies, I have not used Chrome for a while however, before posting my last reply I opened it and checked that those instructions worked and they did!

Following your reply I have just checked again and Chrome has now updated and it would seem that the option to delete cookies from a specific site has been removed. As you say, now there is only the option to delete all cookies.

Here's Google Support's  page on that https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9564 

Coenoby

That's a bit of an issue, deleting all cookies requires significant work to get everything else back the way it was. Fortunately Google came up with an answer:-

chrome://settings/content/all