cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media account and blueyonder email hacked

Irene11
Joining in

My elderly in laws are not tech savvy and their VM account was hacked by someone who gained access to their password. We have phoned Virgin media several times and have been sent from pillar to post. This is getting very distressing for them. In short, there are still unresolved issues: 1) Although they have changed their VM password, they can still access their account and blueyonder email on other devices without having to enter their new password,which means that the hackers can do the same from their devices. One tech support said that the IT team can log a client out of all devices, but they have not done this yet. 2) Their VM account still has bugs, which is preventing them from turning the toggle on for Virus Safe and Child Safe, and from deleting the auto forward email address that the hackers have put in place, although they have been able to turn auto forward off. However the hackers just turn it on again. 3) Their blueyonder email inbox is still compromised - emails are either forwarded to the hackers' email, or goes directly to Trash, or sometimes goes to inbox as it should. I have lost hope that the VM phone support will help them, so I am hoping IT can respond this way. Please help.This is not the way to treat elderly customers who are being overcharged for pathetic service.

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have your parents also gone through the process to generate an app password for use with third party email clients since charging their VM account password?

If not then the old password will continue to work when accessing the email address via a third party email client.

Also can you confirm that the email address concerned is connected to your parents current Virgin Media broadband account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes to both -  the email address is connected to their current Virgin Media broadband account, and generating an app password is one of the first things we did. They access their blueyonder email from a browser, and no matter which device they use, the virgin media page opens up with their log in details already saved - without the need to enter the new password. So presumably the hackers can do the same, and still control the email and have access to their VM account details - address, payment, everything.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Was the advice here. My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help, followed?

FWIW with regard to the auto forward rule being re-created after its deletion, consider trying the following:

• select ⚙ > E-Mail > Filter Rules and then the dustbin icon (vm-webmail-bin.jpeg) located adjacent to Auto forward rule.
  • select Delete to confirm its deletion
  • select Security and note Automatic sign out value before amending to 5 minutes
  • wait 5 minutes to confirm automatic sign out occurs; this will also sign out other active sessions
  • sign back into webmail
  • select ⚙ > E-Mail >  Security and reset Automatic sign out to its previously noted value

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

I've tried those steps too. Sadly, the automatic sign out worked only on the device that I was working on. I checked on another device - it had not logged the session out. So still the same problems. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry to read that sign out workaround for other sessions did not work, If you continue to have an issue with auto-forward rule being re-created then post back here and issue will be flagged to the forum team.