cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Additional email inboxes not working

jl-c
Tuning in

Tom,

Sorry to hijack this but I am having exactly the same issue and I am afraid the advice so far is just totally confusing!

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] is fine but apart from one sub account are all displaying the same error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
_2-1690890655524.jpeg

The above highlighted error message can usual be resolved by:

1. opening an Incognito / Private browser window
  2. sign in here https://mail2.virginmedia.com with the authentication credentials of the problem account. If sign in is unsuccessful try the forgotten password link Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media
  3. once successfully signed into webmail go to Login to My Virgin Media | Virgin Media and select Sign in
  4. select Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > Generate new App password
  5. make a note of new App password
  6. sign out or close window
  7. now back in webmail, select Edit located adjacent to problem account; in above example that would be richard.branson@ blueyonder.co.uk
  8. scroll down to Incoming server section and enter App password, noted in step 5, in Password field
  9. scroll down further to Outgoing server (SMTP) and set Authentication to As incoming e-mail server
  10. select Save

Hopefully details were saved without issue and error message is no longer being shown.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jl-c thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

I will see if I can look into this further for you, please expect a PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Please do edit/delete your post containing your email address, this is account sensitive information and is a security risk to provide publicly. 

Many thanks

Tom_W

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
_2-1690890655524.jpeg

The above highlighted error message can usual be resolved by:

1. opening an Incognito / Private browser window
  2. sign in here https://mail2.virginmedia.com with the authentication credentials of the problem account. If sign in is unsuccessful try the forgotten password link Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media
  3. once successfully signed into webmail go to Login to My Virgin Media | Virgin Media and select Sign in
  4. select Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > Generate new App password
  5. make a note of new App password
  6. sign out or close window
  7. now back in webmail, select Edit located adjacent to problem account; in above example that would be richard.branson@ blueyonder.co.uk
  8. scroll down to Incoming server section and enter App password, noted in step 5, in Password field
  9. scroll down further to Outgoing server (SMTP) and set Authentication to As incoming e-mail server
  10. select Save

Hopefully details were saved without issue and error message is no longer being shown.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Dr_Paul
Joining in

Oh dear... It didn't work. I followed the instructions, entered the App password that I'd obtained (point 8), changed the outgoing server to 'as incoming...' (point 9), tried to save, but it wouldn't do so, 'Validation failed... due to invalid credentials.' 

Now what?

Hi @Dr_Paul thanks for your post here, sorry that you are still having issues here.

This can take some time to syncronise but if it hasn't worked can you please try this again? If it hasn't worked, please let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hello Tom

I think I may have been doing things wrong. Having read the instructions again, am I right in thinking that points 2 onwards should be done via the Incognito screen logged in with the problematic account?

If that's the case, then it still doesn't work. When trying to sign in via point 3, I am asked to complete registration with a security question. I entered one, but instead of going further via log-in, I keep getting put back to the security question. So I can't actually complete point 3 or get to points 4 and further.

What now?

Paul

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dr_Paul wrote:

I think I may have been doing things wrong. Having read the instructions again, am I right in thinking that points 2 onwards should be done via the Incognito screen logged in with the problematic account?

That is correct; using an Incognito window avoid unnecessary having to sign out and back in to webmail

If that's the case, then it still doesn't work. When trying to sign in via point 3, I am asked to complete registration with a security question. I entered one, but instead of going further via log-in, I keep getting put back to the security question. So I can't actually complete point 3 or get to points 4 and further.

What now?

Wait for the forum team to help reset secondary account password after which you can sign into My Virgin Media and set security answer here My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details > Edit located adjacent to Password recovery question text

Hi @Dr_Paul thanks for your reply.

As you are still experiencing difficulties, please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Dr Paul, thanks a lot for your reply via PM.

Apologies for the invite to PM, I hadn't realised you were already communicating via PM so please kindly continue to communicate with Beth, and she'll be able to get things resolved for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

ClaireTed
Joining in

For some days emails haven't been coming through to my Android phone.  Well, they didn't, then they did, then they didn't again and still don't.

I tried following the steps in the post above, generating a new app password and applying it. This didn.t work, so now emails don't come through to my Android phone nor to Outlook on my PC. I know there are new messages as I can see them through webmail, but I don't want to use webmail all the time.

Help!