cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email today saying email won't work tomorrow unless I take action

stanolley
Joining in

Email from VM today ([MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED@virginmedia.com telling me I have been ignoring warnings to verify email (I've not had any). Initially assumed it was spam [This is to inform you that your email will be closed on 03 /25/2024 because you have been ignoring all our update messages that we send you.

If you wish to continue using your mailbox, please update and verify now to continue using our service.
Note: Do not ignore this verification prompt. If you ignore it, the mailbox may be permanently blocked.
Thank you for doing your part to defend our service]

I logged onto VirginMedia mail and got an error message 'The provided login data to access e-mail server imap.virginmedia.com seems to be wrong. Please correct them'. My main account is an ntlworld account and I changed the password on that before Christmas. I could not find how to change the other 4 IMAP accounts as the related functions did not have any change password options. 

However reading a few other 'solutions' (3 hours I won't get back) too similar issues it looks like I need to verify my account and get a password for outlook when I want to log on. I've followed the instructions and always get back to the same issue - when I type in my ntlworld account address it insists I provide and other address as this account may not be accessible. The only other ones I have are virginmedia.com accounts and they are the ones that appear to have errors. I don't have any other email accounts and won't be creating any. How do I get round this please? 

I also within the 3 hours searching through I'd try the chat - but guess what - it does not work today and despite comments saying you can still phone us - I can't find a phone number!

I've given up trying to fix today without any further help from yourselves. 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stanolley wrote:

when I type in my ntlworld account address it insists I provide and other address as this account may not be accessible. ..............How do I get round this please? 

Sorry but the simple answer is that you cannot get round it

Several months ago VM introduced the need for VM email customers to supply a separate non VM email address (such as @gmail,com or @outlook.com for example) for each of their VM email accounts,

Once you supply a non VM email account then VM will use that address to send any verification emails whenever you reset the password to your VM account. They did that to improve the security of VM email accounts and make it more difficult for hackers to take them over.

Regarding the email you have received, I too have doubts about its authenticity.

It is not clear from your post whether you still use VM broadband. The thing you need to know is that VM are now actively closing down VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live broadband account.

If you don't have a VM broadband account then you do need to set up a new email account with another email provider because your VM email accounts will be closing at some point in the near future,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You must now have a non VM email address.

https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"03 /25/2024" that’s a US formatted date which I do not think would originate from VM UK. I would treat it as spam seeing that date.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stanolley wrote:

when I type in my ntlworld account address it insists I provide and other address as this account may not be accessible. ..............How do I get round this please? 

Sorry but the simple answer is that you cannot get round it

Several months ago VM introduced the need for VM email customers to supply a separate non VM email address (such as @gmail,com or @outlook.com for example) for each of their VM email accounts,

Once you supply a non VM email account then VM will use that address to send any verification emails whenever you reset the password to your VM account. They did that to improve the security of VM email accounts and make it more difficult for hackers to take them over.

Regarding the email you have received, I too have doubts about its authenticity.

It is not clear from your post whether you still use VM broadband. The thing you need to know is that VM are now actively closing down VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live broadband account.

If you don't have a VM broadband account then you do need to set up a new email account with another email provider because your VM email accounts will be closing at some point in the near future,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks