cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working

SL46
On our wavelength

My emails stopped working last night with an error message saying I needed to add a password to my settings even though one is already there. 
When I logged into My Virginmedia this morning it was asking me to renew my contract so presume this is the issue with my emails. I have renewed (about an hour ago) but still can’t get into my emails. 
Do I need to do anything else? All other services are working fine. 

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Was this the same broadband contract that was renewed after a short break, or a new contract altogether with a new number?   To keep the email account it would have been necessary to have the email carried over, this would not have happened automatically.

You'll need to wait for a staff member to pick this up and see what can be done to help. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

bazzw6
Joining in

I think it's the same error everyone is getting lately 'internal server error....blah blah' I have had this error for 2 days now, can't send emails from virginmedia,

Is it going to be fixed...who knows when ???

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SL46 wrote:

My emails stopped working last night with an error message saying I needed to add a password to my settings even though one is already there. When I logged into My Virginmedia this morning it was asking me to renew my contract so presume this is the issue with my emails.

The fact that you are having problems with Virgin Media emails will have nothing to do with the fact that your broadband contract was coming up to renewal. Even if you had cancelled your contract your email account would not have been affected for at least 90 days.

What you are seeing is just the normal issues with VM email.

It sounds as if you are getting the "No password provided" error on your iPhone. Unfortunately the error messages from email apps often default to suggesting a problem with the password when the problem lies elsewhere.

However, in most cases you can resolve these issues by resetting the existing password for your email account and generating a new mail app password to use in your email app.

To reset the password for an email account you have to sign into My Virgin Media  using the email address and current password of the problem account

Go to "Account settings" then "Account details".

Then scroll down the Account details page to the "Sign In" details section, you will see "Password"  and you need to click on Edit on the right had side and follow the instructions.

Once you have reset the password you will need to generate a mail app password to use in your email app.

Go to Account settings, then Account details.
Tap "Manage" next to "Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password" under Virgin Media Mail
Then, under "Virgin Media Mail app password" tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

Update the settings in your email app with the new mail app password and see how that goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SL46
On our wavelength

Thanks all. It seems that Virgin had locked my account after being concerned about suspicious activity. I had to follow the process described above and have. I’ve got access again. Received another email yesterday with the same message but have reset again and it all seems ok so far. 
I have asked if they can clarify what’s triggering this as haven’t received anything that has caused me any concern (apart from their email)

Thanks for the update @SL46 

Glad it's now working. 

If I can help with anything else, let me know. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SL46
On our wavelength

Thanks. I received another email yesterday telling me my account had been locked so I’ve had to reset again. No idea why this keeps happening as haven’t received any unusual or suspicious emails. Can you help find out why please as yrs getting to be quite annoying? Thanks

Hi SL46,

Thank you for reaching back out, this isn't something we can check, before changing the password did you run an anti virus on all devices?

Regards

Paul.