cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut off by Virgin- what are they doing to me

craibh
On our wavelength

I have been a customer of Virgin for 25/30 years and a couple of days ago my password for my main email address stopped working.I went to My Virgin Media for that address to change my password - but was told that I could not do that online,  and that I had to phone 150 .This I did, and with considerable difficulty found the correct option.I spoke to a lady there who set up a new password- which did not work!

I tried the password which I had been given  several times, and  on different devices and it never worked.I told the lady that I was speaking to  that this was happening and she said that Virgin would phone me in the next 24/48 hours.I have not heard from Virgin and so I am totally excluded from this email address which is causing me real problems. 

As I had not heard from Virgin, this morning I went to My Virgin Media website for this address.Initially, without asking for a password, it recognised and welcomed me and then it changed to telling me to give them another , non- VIrgin email address of mine which they would communicate with .I understood that this was to give me a  link to set matters working again on my main email Virgin address

I gave them a non-Virgin email address and at that address I have received an email which tells me that :-

"Thanks for updating your email address on your My Virgin Media account. To confirm the change, all you must do is to verify your email in the link below,

As soon as the email address is verified, your new My Virgin Media email address will be changed to"  [here it refers to the new non Virgin email address athat I gave Virgin online as they requested.]

From now on, you'll need to use your new email address to sign into My Virgin Media"

Why should my Virgin mainemail address be chnaged to a non Virgin one, and why  should I have to use a non-Virgin email address to sign into a Virgin email address?I am very worried that this will mean that I loose the use of that main Virgin email address.Someone has asked me if this is how VIrgin are going to close down their existing email addresses!

I have had to spend  over a year  fighting Virgin to implement a renewal deal I had with Virgin for my package.That story is referred to on this Community site.  I have only made progress on that issue due to the tremendous help and support from the Managers and Staff of this Community website.

How can I get Virgin to urgently deal with the problem relating to the password for, and so access to, my main Virgin email address?

Any help will be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Craibh

address to sign into My Virgin Media

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh wrote:

Why should my Virgin mainemail address be chnaged to a non Virgin one, and why  should I have to use a non-Virgin email address to sign into a Virgin email address?I am very worried that this will mean that I loose the use of that main Virgin email address.Someone has asked me if this is how VIrgin are going to close down their existing email addresses!

The change of Sign in Email Address only impacts your sign in for My Virgin Media and webmail; the latter's email address will remain, i.e. sign in with ricahrd.branson@example.com results in existing webmail account being loaded, richard.branson@virginmedia..com

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh  Virgin Media have recently introduced new security measures into their systems.  This means that each My Virgin Media account now needs to use a non virgin media email address as the username for the account.  When any password changes are requested a verification code is sent to the third party username email address.  This code is then used to confirm the password change.

Changing the username for the account does not change the underlying vm email address which will continue to work as an email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh wrote:

The change of Sign in Email Address only impacts your sign in for My Virgin Media and webmail; the latter's email address will remain, i.e. sign in with ricahrd.branson@example.com results in existing webmail account being loaded, richard.branson@virginmedia..com

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

craibh
On our wavelength

Many thanks to you both for your very helpful responses.It would be very helpful if Virgin communicated these significant, unilateral  ,changes  to how one accesses one's own email accounts- well in advance of putting them into effect.I shall now try to restore use on my main email address.

Crabh.

craibh
On our wavelength

I received a  helpful call from Virgin later on Friday and access to my main email address has been restored.

In the light of my experience can I please ask the Community the following questiones:-

1-how do I get my email address on the circulation list for those affected by changes Virgin are making in the operating procedures ?That would help me greatly, and save me bothering the Community;

2-the Device App window explains that the App Password will disappear after 10 minutes.Does that mean that if you have not managed to get it onto a device with 10 minutes it no longer works- I think it still works  but am not sure;

3- can you have devices using different App Passwords.For instance if you get a new one do you have to get a new App Password and install it on all your devices;

4- sometimes a small window appears on one's screen giving the email address to which it relates, a number of asterisks representing the number of letters in your password for that email addres,and asking you to confim if that password is correct for that email account  and if it is to go on a list.Should that window be showing the number of asterisks in the App password?

5- when would one be asked to use the much simpler password- is that just to login at My Virgin Media login?

Again Many thanks.

Craibh

Thanks for the update @craibh on the forums. 👋🏼 Here is the findings from your question:

1) Unfortunately we are not emailing all individual customers, but you can manage your email here.
2) You would need to request again if the 10 minutes is up.
3) You will need a new app password for each device.
4) Are you able to clarify on point number four?
5) This can be done via the link provided in point 1.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs