cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it 'safe' to instruct your bank to cancel your Direct Debit?

alanwils
Tuning in

Is it 'safe'; in other words - doesn't contravene any contract obligations, to instruct your bank to cancel your Virgin Media Direct Debit, if you don't agree/ dispute what they propose to take from your bank account? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would advise against this as Vm will most likely just assign your debt to collectors.  It will also be on your Credit score as a debt.  Best to keep paying until the dispute is sorted out and then seek any relevant compensation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would advise against this as Vm will most likely just assign your debt to collectors.  It will also be on your Credit score as a debt.  Best to keep paying until the dispute is sorted out and then seek any relevant compensation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

on the contrary! Virgin Media have for the last 4 months and, still are trying to take money for a service I do not have despite the wealth of evidence I have provided and their own letter to me that they have removed the service from my account last month. Without hesitation I have cancelled my direct debit to stop the continuing theft. Virgin Media Billing Services are absolutely shocking, as is (as evidenced by their words and actions to me) their internal communication. My advice to anyone with an issue with Virgin Media Billing Services is cancel that direct debit immediately.

alanwils
Tuning in

My local Citizens Advice have informed me that I can simply cancel my DD; there's no problem doing this if I feel that the sum they are taking/ about to take out -  is incorrect, which it is. I was told I could pay what I owe manually.

I was also going to try and change my DD to another account with just enough money to cover what I truly owe. If they tried to take more, and there is not enough money in that account  (as there would be) - then the DD would fail.

...but your answer is basically giving the green light for Virgin Media, and other companies for that matter, to take the hell as they please from your bank account!? Most people, understandingly, can't go through the tiring and seemingly non-ending process of telephoning to hear the same script, sending countless emails etc...and VM knows this!

Citizen's Advice Bureau has told me that I can take 'back control' and, while I'm at it, let the bank know what's going on. They mentioned that VM are using their own bad administration methods, favourably...to suit them. They also informed that they have had many VM customers contact them and, without sounding too dramatic, I smell a sense of a 'Post Office Scandal' about it all. A visit to my MP may be called for.

Mum1212
On our wavelength

You are not alone. Katie Morley of the Telegraph spoke about this today, Social Media - Twitter is one way to make sure they know about it - in public. Or a recorded signed for delivery letter, Or - go to one of their head offices. What they are doing is unproductive, a waste of our time, and really abominable - they do NOT log customers complaints or log their requests to change package or to leave. 

The 'independent' adjudicator can deal with this quickly.

But it is a waste of time.

I don't know what more we can do other than leave and notify our MP

Mum1212
On our wavelength

I had to do exactly that with Birmingham Council 2 years ago - they kept over charging - until I cancelled the DD and paid manually on the day. Same with energy providers - all too happy to take large sums from our bank accounts without consent. There are too many stories like this. I have to pay extra fees to pay my energy bills in this way (unfair/discriminatory). I think the DD guarantee is no longer followed by VM because staff in India/Phillipines etc do not care and have no idea. 

Mum1212
On our wavelength

I contacted my MP Andrew Mitchell about this - so you can mention that in correspondence with your own local MP. 

Mum1212
On our wavelength

I strongly advise that you document what you plane to do BEFORE taking action. So (1) log it in writing and get an acknowledgement - (1) on Twitter @virginmediahelp. , with (2) the independent adjudicator who can resolve accounts queries fast (3) with a signed/recorded delivery letter to their complaints dept (4) with their head office - just turn up at reception and get someone to acknowledge receipt of a letter addressed to the CEO. 

Definitely talk to your bank about the Direct Debit guarantee and how that protects you.