cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Service Not Found (C133/Service Not Found)

ntruby
Dialled in

I've been away for a couple of weeks.

In that time my box has lost connection with the Virgin PXL_20240509_185511859.MP.jpgMedia Service.   This used to happen a lot with my old box, but has never before happened with my V6 Tivo box.

I've rebooted the router and the Tivo box multiple times, but no dice.  When I try to connect the VM box it times out on the "Negotiating" stage.   See pic.

Broadband is fine.  TV is fine also, except there are no programme listings/descriptions, and recordings don't work.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming you definitely have a V6 and not a TiVo (same software, but very different hardware - https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box ) then this is all symptomatic of a lost connection between your V6 & home-hub. It's this which provides the internet connection for OnDemand, streaming, and numerous - including EPG - updates.

How is your V6 connected to your hub - is it (recommended) Ethernet hardwired? Or wireless? Check whether OnDemand works, as a good test of the internet connection. Report back on this, and your connection type - further advice can follow depending on both answers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's a v6 - sorry about the red herring!

The V6 is connected by an ethernet cable.  I'm fairly confident that this isn't the issue, as I tried disconnecting it then trying to connect to the Virgin Media Service again through the menu, and it (correctly) told me that the ethernet was disconnected.  I've also tried connecting to VM being connected to the router via WiFi instead of via ethernet - same result.

Finally, the attached pic would appear to suggest that all is well with the box's connection to the router.PXL_20240509_185543491.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does OnDemand work OK?

Can you set manual recordings? (Home > My Shows > Set manual recording). This is to test whether your V6 has the account-set ability to record.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes, both On Demand and Manual Recordings work OK.

I was also able to press "R" on programmes (last night's football), and they recorded for a while but then stopped, presumably because without access to the programme schedule the box doesn't know when to stop the recording.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So the internet connection & recording ability is present.

Another synch worth trying is the EPG one - follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels.

Give it perhaps 10-15minutes then retry a manual network connection via Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to VM Services now.

If both of these fail to resolve, then there's something user/account-specific awry here.

ntruby
Dialled in

Thanks for your continued interest, japitts.

Sadly, rebuilding the channel list then trying to connect again has yielded the identical response.

According to the info the box last connected successfully on 16th April.  I record Newsnight every night, and it seems that the last successful recording was on Fri 28th April.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How odd. Just to rule out the obvious, when did you last restart your V6? Using the Help & Settings > Restart > Restart my box (exact wording may vary - doing this from memory) options.

If not, this will need VM intervention I fear.

Hi.  I had power-cycled both the box and the router several times yesterday, but I did try the restart you suggested above just now.  Sadly, no dice.

Not entirely wasted though, as part of restart involved hitting the "Last Channel Watched" button, which I didn't know existed.  Exceptionally useful when watching different games on multiple channels!

Do you think I need to call in to VM?   I don't know when I will have the time available for that.

Thanks

N

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ntruby wrote:

Not entirely wasted though, as part of restart involved hitting the "Last Channel Watched" button, which I didn't know existed.  Exceptionally useful when watching different games on multiple channels!

You can go one better than that on a V6. Press your "Info" button and scroll to the bottom panel, all 5 of your background tuners are listed - fully controllable and selectable. Each background tuner holds a 1hour buffer unless it's recording a programme. Something not available on the newer TV360.

@ntruby wrote:

Do you think I need to call in to VM?   I don't know when I will have the time available for that.

That depends how urgently you want this sorted. VM staff do respond on these boards, if you don't mind waiting an extra couple of days.