cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random black screen & no sound

TD6412
Tuning in

🤔  screen/tv keeps going black & no sound. Only lasts maybe 2-3 seconds. Completely random times and channels. Only happens when watching TV through tivo v6 box. Any bright ideas anyone?

Also ..completely failed to record via series link on 101 BBC ONE HD  BBC1 programme.....  " no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that you don't receive". (has only happened the one time on Wed 31/1 so may be unrelated)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TD6412 wrote:

Also ..completely failed to record via series link on 101 BBC ONE HD  BBC1 programme.....  " no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that you don't receive". (has only happened the one time on Wed 31/1 so may be unrelated)

That's usually a tuner glitch, and is very unlikely related to your HDMI output issues. As mentioned above, you need to eliminate every part of the chain - output, input & cable.

Check that the source of your viewing doesn't have any effect, testing with live TV/OnDemand/recordings and make sure the problem isn't specific to one or another.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

roy247
Superstar

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and connector on the TV.

If the problem is related to your recording problem then that would point to a problem with your coax connection, depending how frequent the screen going black and losing sound problem is you could try pressing recording when it's doing it and then see if the recording is affected that would help show if it's an incoming signal problem or the box to TV problem.

Thanks for the response.                          We get the black screen/no sound issue on both recordings AND when watching live TV.  It's a relatively new issue...I'd say only the past few months. All cabling/connectors are top quality (so says him indoors)

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TD6412 wrote:

That's usually a tuner glitch, and is very unlikely related to your HDMI output issues. As mentioned above, you need to eliminate every part of the chain - output, input & cable.

Check that the source of your viewing doesn't have any effect, testing with live TV/OnDemand/recordings and make sure the problem isn't specific to one or another.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks