cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box sound problems

Jeffberg01
On our wavelength

My TV loses sound from the TiVo box and then the TV resets itself after which the sound comes back.

I have changed the HDMI cable for another one and there is no difference. The same thing happens with the new cable.

My TV is a relatively new LG 43" but the Tivo is old now.  Has anyone else experienced this.

I have tried to running diagnostics on the fom the Virgin app, but it will not perform the test even though the TiVo is connected to the Internet.

8 REPLIES 8

BillBudd
Superfast

Hi,

I have an older Tivo box and get similar problems.  Very occasionally (less than once a month) I get no sound from the Tivo.  The remedy is to reset the TV (it's a two year old Toshiba) with a power off and on.

Apologies as this does not resolve it for you, but at least you know you are not alone!

Kind Regards,

Bill

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for this. 

My TV is almost 1 year old LG TV with a sound bar and sub-woofer.  Loss of sound and shutting down of the TV  has just started to happen.

I do reset the TiVo now and again and I have just run through the diagnostics of the TiVo and could not find anything that I could see was wrong with it.

Resetting the TV does not seem to be addressing the problem.  Would placing the TiVo be better or do new TiVo's have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Jeff

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo's have now been superceded by V6 - which runs the same software but on a much newer, quicker and improved box.

The only other thing to try ruling out is whether this loss of sound is affected by the source - i.e. live TV? OnDemand? Recorded programmes?

If there's no difference, then the HDMI chain somewhere (output, cable, input) is the likely culprit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Good Afternoon @Jeffberg01, are you able to provide an update that includes answers to the questions posted by @japitts, so we can gain a better overall understanding of the issue you're experiencing? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I have not investigated the points raised as the issue has not occurred since the last post.

When it does re-occur I will look into it and report back.

Kind regards,

Jeff

LJyorkie
Joining in

We've had exactly the same problem, tried different cables in different tv ports. (We have a LG nano cell tv approx 1.5 yrs old) Virgin came today to check the equipment and just changed the box, saying it was probably a problem with the recording function. Too early yet to see if its solved the problem. 

Hi

I think that is the solution I am looking for but because the fault appears to be spasmodic I cannot make an argument for changing the box.

Jeff

Hi @Jeffberg01,

Please do keep us posted on this, and if the issue does return then we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!