cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR issue, no call back

Actress
Joining in

Hi. I got the green screen with the DVR fault. My box has been unable to fix itself so I'm currently with no TV. I was told by an assistant on the phone earlier today that I would be receiving a 'virtual technician' appointment within the next four hours - the four hours have long gone. No call back, still no TV. 

What would be the best thing for me to do at this point? Is there something I can do to fix the problem? Do I have to call again tomorrow and hope someone will be bothered enough to help me? Should I book a technician to visit my property (if so will they have a new TV box with them or will that be another long wait)?

If I'm going to look for a silver lining the guy I spoke to on the phone did tell me I'm out of contract. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Actress 

The, "the DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it; do not switch off for 3 hours”. message is commonly known as the green screen of death. It means that your hard drive has failed. It's not very often that the box is able to recover from this, and if by some miracle it does, then it's only a  matter of time before it fails completely.

The box will need replacing The good news is that providing you also have broadband with VM then it will be swapped out for free with the newer V6 box.

You should try speaking to faults again,and hopefully this time get an agent that is more helpful.

The IVR should recognise that you've already called and place you into a queue to speak to the agents.

If you hear the automated response asking you to press buttons then then ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

EDIT - If you are out of contract then call in and negotiate a new deal. You might be offered the 360 box which uses the Horizon interface instead of the Tivo you are used to. It has a lot of differences compared to the Tivo/V6 boxes, so it's a bit likee comparing android to ios,  so have a read of this thread < here> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Actress 

The, "the DVR has detected a serious problem and is trying to fix it; do not switch off for 3 hours”. message is commonly known as the green screen of death. It means that your hard drive has failed. It's not very often that the box is able to recover from this, and if by some miracle it does, then it's only a  matter of time before it fails completely.

The box will need replacing The good news is that providing you also have broadband with VM then it will be swapped out for free with the newer V6 box.

You should try speaking to faults again,and hopefully this time get an agent that is more helpful.

The IVR should recognise that you've already called and place you into a queue to speak to the agents.

If you hear the automated response asking you to press buttons then then ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

EDIT - If you are out of contract then call in and negotiate a new deal. You might be offered the 360 box which uses the Horizon interface instead of the Tivo you are used to. It has a lot of differences compared to the Tivo/V6 boxes, so it's a bit likee comparing android to ios,  so have a read of this thread < here> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Actress wrote:

I would be receiving a 'virtual technician' appointment within the next four hours

I may be doing someone a disservice here, but every time the "virtual technician" gets a mention on these boards - it's usually in the context of a CS agent not knowing what to do, and letting someone else deal with it.

As mentioned already, the correct outcome with the green "DVR has detected an error" message is a tech visit with a view to a box replacement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Actress,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

So sorry to hear that you've experiencing DVR issues with your TV service, from checking however from the advice given by @newapollo, there has been an appointment booked.

Do keep us posted on how it goes.

Take care,

Kain