cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m not getting the speed I’m paying for

markmywords
On our wavelength

I’m currently running various speed check tests and I’m beginning to think that Virgin Media is throttling my broadband connection. There’s nothing wrong with the Hub3 - I’ve got it set up to run a mesh network. My tests are run on VM’s side of the connection - so it’s not me that is the problem. And yet regular as clockwork I get 250Mbps for part of the day. Then late afternoon it drops to less than 40Mbps, and who knows when it will get higher. So VM says for M250, I should be getting an average 264Mbps and unlimited downloads.I wish!! I have yet to figure out how to get an engineer to visit so they can prove me wrong. I refuse to let someone remotely mess with the hub and cut me off totally. So just how do I get a guaranteed visit from a VM engineer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Run the FULL tests here  www.samknows.com/realspeed and post the results please.

Also setup a BQM if you suspect over utilisation in the evenings  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Finally post your power levels and network log for comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Run the FULL tests here  www.samknows.com/realspeed and post the results please.

Also setup a BQM if you suspect over utilisation in the evenings  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Finally post your power levels and network log for comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Really useful information. Forgive me if I don’t reply further for a few days, as I will need to gather further data based on what you have said. For reference, how do I get the power level and network log data? FYI, as expected speeds are as I would hope for, i.e. over 260Mbps. Later today remains to be seen. So, many thanks, and I will get back to you.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.
    • Do NOT post photos or screen shots they will be rejected as they contain MAC addresses. The board software will automatically change MAC addresses to **:** if done as above.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Adduxi, it’s been two weeks now and I’ve been monitoring things per your advice. I’m pleased to say that the speed delivered by VM has been pretty much stable at circa 270Mbps. My side of the router was always going to be variable given the number of devices on the network, but that too is acceptable. It is interesting to note that in the days leading up to Christmas there was an uptick in the presence of VM vans in the area. One of my neighbours was even treated to an hour’s worth of presence of an engineer. So there may, or may not, have been a problem in the area. Who’s to say. Bottom line - I’m happy for now. So once again, thanks for your assistance. Happy New Year.

markmywords
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor, just a quick reply to say thanks for your info. Useful stuff to keep for reference, and I’ll pass on uploading data for now - see my latest reply to Adduxi. Happy New Year.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad to hear it's all worked out in the end.  Have a good New Year !