cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Update scam

KPardoe
On our wavelength

I have received yet another scam email from webteam@virginmedia.com.  I know it is a scam because it is asking for an update on card details because "We couldn't update your payment details due to account issues".  As the primary account isn't in my name and businesses shouldn't contact anyone in this way, I'm sure this is a scam.  However, I only started receiving emails from this almost credible email address since the problem with VM email really hit the fan in June.  I thought I had seen a posting about this scam, but I couldn't find it, so decided to post it to find out what experience others have of this.

4 REPLIES 4

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @KPardoe,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been getting these emails.  What we would advise you do with emails such as this is report them via our website here. We also ask that you run virus scans on your devices and be sure to update your passwords regularly to avoid any security risks via your email.

Joe

KPardoe
On our wavelength

I already do all of those and more.  I stopped using the "report phishing" option because I was locked out of my account after reporting 7 in one day.  I only wanted to point out that the apparent email address of the scam senders now looks much more like it could come from VM, for anyone who may still think that clicking on a link in an email is a good thing to do (I don't, but I know a lot of people who should know better still do).  Previous scams were from email addresses that were clearly not VM (e.g. @gmail.com and similar).

Myst369
Tuning in

Like KPardoe I too have just received a scam email purporting to come from Virgin Media asking me to update my account card details. However when you hover over the LOGIN button the email displays the website address http://nacri.co.uk

Visiting this website reveals a VERY convincing looking page that appears to belong to Virgin.

HOWEVER  if you look closely at the website address shown in the address bar at the top of the page you will it reads...

https://hypesix.tech/virinmedia/nlr/nmedia/lder=defaul/ailfot0IN/oX&witSec/help/broadband/manage-mai...

and closer inspection of that address will reveal the letter 'G' is missing from the word Virgin thus denoting it to be a fake.  

Please convey this information to anyone receiving such emails.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Myst369 wrote: 

Please convey this information to anyone receiving such emails.

See email 5 in this post from Virgin Media -  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News  it would seem to be the one you have just had.

If so, VM are obviously now aware of it so hopefully future examples of it will be blocked by their filters.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks