cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why bother staying with VM?

vermat51
Joining in

We've been with Virgin Media for a while now, due to them having the best speeds in our region and limited competition, we've been pretty loyal customers but our contract is ending at the beginning of April so this time we are genuinely leaving, especially when new customers can get the M250 (which we've been on for a while now) for around £31 but we're now paying £53. We contacted VM to discuss the process of leaving and of course, they tried to offer a better deal which was still only £43 per month for the M250. They didn't seem bothered to help and all they did was bad-mouth the competition, which is to be expected I guess. But I'm left wondering why I've stayed with them for so long, maybe because I didn't want the hassle of switching. I have arthritis so I need to have some form of broadband connection due to limited mobility and I was always worried about being disconnected for a length of time.

4 REPLIES 4

unisoft
Well-informed

@vermat51 wrote:

We've been with Virgin Media for a while now, due to them having the best speeds in our region and limited competition, we've been pretty loyal customers but our contract is ending at the beginning of April so this time we are genuinely leaving, especially when new customers can get the M250 (which we've been on for a while now) for around £31 but we're now paying £53. We contacted VM to discuss the process of leaving and of course, they tried to offer a better deal which was still only £43 per month for the M250. They didn't seem bothered to help and all they did was bad-mouth the competition, which is to be expected I guess. But I'm left wondering why I've stayed with them for so long, maybe because I didn't want the hassle of switching. I have arthritis so I need to have some form of broadband connection due to limited mobility and I was always worried about being disconnected for a length of time.

So actually be serious and give 30 days notice to VM Retentions Level 1 and don't use doubtful words like "I'm thinking of leaving". This is your consumer right 🙂

If you have marketing enabled in your My Virgin media profile, you'll probably get a ring back from VM Retentions Level 2 or SMS messages with much better offers.

If not, you can leave and go onto something like Now Broadband MONTHLY contract on BT Openreach's FTTC and then come back after 90 days as a new customer with all the new customer offers like pricing and gifts (if offered on the specific package/product) and maybe upgraded VM kit to what you have today. Yes, on the monthly no contract option you'll have to pay router + delivery charge but you are in control with no minimum contract like 12 months or 18 months.

As an alternative, you could cancel VM and put a new connection order into a partner's name at same address (plenty done that on here). Check coverage at any new provider on their web site before letting the disconnection happen as sometimes BT cabinets can be full for FTTC new orders and a wait list. 4g and 5G is also an option by a USB dongle in your own router if it supports this, or a MiFi device from the mobile operator. If you are in an area with overloaded cells, the speed may be slow though. You kinda have to know which mobile operators are good in your area for data speeds.

You can always cancel the cancel within 30 days if you want to as well if you change your mind and decide to stay.

I can't tell you exactly what to do, as everyone has their own circumstances and requirements, but these are general pointers...

carl_pearce
Community elder

VM couldn't care less about loyalty.

If you are in a FTTP area, and aren't bothered about VM's TV services, switch, simple as that!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I predict VM will be the last ISP to go CGNAT on their customers that if and when hub 5x gets modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @vermat51 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear you intend to leave us 😔

As with all providers, we create introductory offers for new customers. At the start of all our customers’ time with us, they’ll have benefited from such a deal. Once this expires, we'll always do all we can to offer the best existing customer deal available.

Has a disconnection been scheduled for you as of yet? If not, we'd suggest contacting the retentions team to discuss the matter further on 0345 454 1111 (Option one, then four, then four), or 150 from a Virgin Media landline.

If, however, you're adamant you wish to cancel and would like to do so via a different method, advice can be found in this article here

Regards,

Daniel