cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the white internal wall box do?

burgesda
Joining in

Had some building work done and the builder disconnected the white internal wall box for our second 360 box. Does the white box actually do anything when not used as a splitter (it seemed to be coax in and coax out). Virgin engineer booked to refit but I’m wondering what is the function of the white box when not splitting (the box to the other 360’seems to split and run to the broadband router to). I’ve tried and failed to Google a simple answer. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wall box contains a safety isolator. This is a surge arresting device that prevents any damage to VMs or your equipment if there is a voltage surge in the incoming cable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wall box contains a safety isolator. This is a surge arresting device that prevents any damage to VMs or your equipment if there is a voltage surge in the incoming cable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the answer. Whilst I wait for the box to be refitted properly is it easy enough to just connect the cable to and from the box using simple coaxial connectors? Thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, the cables should just screw together, or if two female plugs you need one of these. https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

Hey burgesda, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community thank you for the question.

Did the advice here given help at all?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?