cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-install chaos

Steveoek
Tuning in

Been waiting two weeks for Virgin's external contractor to do external work, will anyone actually come? 

My scheduled installation date was supposed to be tomorrow but I've now been told it's rescheduled, the external contractor visited my property on 21st March and spray painted the grass green... Other than that they left and said there was a blockage that their construction team had to fix, fast forward to today 1st April and after chasing VM on WhatsApp the contractor came back and said again that they were chasing their construction team and it would be completed today/tomorrow (VM said they would turn up on Saturday 30th March, then Sunday 31st and now today... All no shows.) He also spray painted the path... Seems to be all the contractor does. 

I've had calls with VM back and forth and they have told me countless times that the install would be no problem and it would go ahead, then 24hrs and 30mins prior to installation date (conveniently right before the 24hr missed appointment compensation) it's rescheduled to another two weeks away. 

We're now at the point where we will be hit financially with phone data plans and potential hotspot devices. No one at VM seems to know what is going on and tells me "not to worry" "it will be installed on xxxx date for sure" 

Will I be due compensation for the stress and impact this has on my work? I work for an emergency service and need WiFi to be able to do my job. 

9 REPLIES 9

Steveoek
Tuning in

Did you ever get the work completed? I'm having the exact same issue with Comex 2000 and Virgin. I'm getting fobbed off and being told they are due to come out today... Then they don't show, Virgin then say they are scheduled to come on whatever day I end up contacting them. Day after day it's the same thing.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will be due compensation when it is installed see below... keep all records of dates of missed appointments and telephone contacts

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are there any alternative suppliers that can install you quicker?

Or.... You can get a unlimited data sim plan from people like Smarty, Three - these are ~£20/month - rolling contract

Compensation info below.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation
https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Don't take this personally, this is quite normal.

When you place the order they will give you a convenient date to get you signed up, without considering how much external work may be required. Then the installation is passed off to a subcontractor.  The actual installation date could be days, weeks or months away depending how much digging may be required.  The "tomorrow guv - trust me" will happen every time you ring.  

As John says above - look for alternatives 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Steveoek
Tuning in

Thanks to you both for replying. 

I've ended up cancelling and going with Sky, Virgin has had some of the worst customer service I've come across and when I looked closer at this forum, so many people have been in the exact same situation as me but for months, I don't have the option to wait that long and I can't hedge my bets on a maybe they'll come maybe they won't attitude at Virgin. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You made a good choice not to wait. But even though you cancelled you are still entitled to compensation for each day from the first promised installation day until you cancelled. Plus of course the individual payments for each day that you were required to be at home without result.

It's worth demanding this to cover your expenses in the meantime. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

An alternative strategy (often pursued on here} is to NOT cancel but just allow the VM process to run its course.  Whilst waiting, keep existing supplier or sign up with an other supplier (perhaps on a monthly contract) or get the SIM deal.  When VM is finally installed you have 14 days in which to decide whether to keep it and cancel your existing/new provider.  Or cancel the VM install in the 14-day "cooling off" period and incur no charges whatsoever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

In addition to the above, if VM have dragged their heels for six months you can collect hundreds of pounds of compensation as well as not being obliged to keep the service beyond the cooling off period.

VM don't seem to listen to their own staff so the only way the people at the top will get to hear that their installation approach is dysfunctional is if it's costing them hundreds of thousands of pounds per year in payment for delays.

Hi there @Steveoek 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced an issue with your installation, and so you are aware we have merged these two posts into one so we can best advise without the posts being confused. 

I'm going to pop you a private message so we can grab some information and take a closer look into this. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.