cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTP (XGS-PON) Install Constantly Disconnects

FastShowVM
Joining in

I had Gig1 FTTP installed a couple of weeks ago and for the past few days just get constant disconnects at the hub itself (if I check router status it intermittently shows 'Offline', normally only for 30 seconds or so at a time but pretty regularly).

I set up ThinkBroadband's BQM this morning and these are my stats so far today, it's basically been unusable other than for a couple of hours here and there. 

efcd6c43a5b7eadf99a28f8ab133e4f600fc101b-27-03-2024.png

I've requested an engineer, but my install is via a telegraph pole, so I'm not sure there will be much they can do without a cherry picker assuming the problem is at that end.

Has anyone else seen similar problems and if so how was the process of getting it resolved? I really need this connection to be stable as I work from home (not to mention I have no TV, or CCTV, or control over my heating or a million other things without it working).

7 REPLIES 7

FastShowVM
Joining in

Live link to the monitor is here.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You certainly have a very serious problem according to that BQM. It may not be up that pole. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

FastShowVM
Joining in

Well this got way worse overnight and I had no connection at all for several hours. Today I had an engineer out (can't fault the response time) and he checked all the fibre, found the connection at the house end was really dirty, so cleaned that up, then left with it all working well so I was cautiously optimistic it was fixed. 90 minutes later it repeatedly went offline again.

Pinged the engineer who kindly left me his mobile number and he booked a call with Avonline to go up the pole and check that end - they were here within 2 hours (again, can't fault the response times!) and they repeated the cleaning process at the top of the pole on both fibre and ports. Again, they left with it working and I hoped we were done, but another hour or so later and another load of dropouts. Here's the past 24 hours BQM:

FastShowVM_2-1711650180203.png

The two total outages today are when the engineers were here but you can see the intermittent dropouts inbetween those visits as well.

Next step is apparently to re-blow some new fibre as they have no other troubleshooting steps for these kind of installs so now I have to wait for that. Just updating here in case anyone is interested in the process more than anything - I'm a bit frustrated it's not fixed yet, but I can't really fault the engineers I've had out so far or how quick the response has been.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The fault was likely else where maybe ?your live BQM looking better

---------------------------------------------------------------

They came back this morning (on Good Friday!) and re-blew new fibre from the outdoor box to the top of the pole and, touch wood, it's been perfect since.

Absolutely cannot fault the turnaround time on any of it.

Hi there @FastShowVM 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your service but I am so glad to hear our engineer was able to arrange work quickly for you! 

Can I ask how things are looking since your last post?

Hey Ashleigh, thanks for checking in, I can confirm it's all been flawless since the visit on Friday, not a single issue with the connection since.