cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I arrange a spotter to bring fibre to my street?

DCICORTEZ
Joining in

How do I arrange a spotter to bring fibre to my street?

Looking for SP11 6PU, there is access in the next estate and SP11 6LU but not ours.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Were all these estates built recently?

The usual scenario with new estates is that the house builder provides all the infrastructure that VM needs to service the new houses (internal wiring, external ducts & cabinets). Then VM wires up the network & offers services. Currently there are only a few areas where VM will duct share with Openreach, as they use different technology & their own headend infrastructure. If your builders have not done this it is unlikely you will get a service for the foreseeable future, as there will be a time embargo on digging up the new streets to lay yet more infrastructure.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Were all these estates built recently?

The usual scenario with new estates is that the house builder provides all the infrastructure that VM needs to service the new houses (internal wiring, external ducts & cabinets). Then VM wires up the network & offers services. Currently there are only a few areas where VM will duct share with Openreach, as they use different technology & their own headend infrastructure. If your builders have not done this it is unlikely you will get a service for the foreseeable future, as there will be a time embargo on digging up the new streets to lay yet more infrastructure.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the estate has been here for 5 years & only has Openreach providers available (Max up to 80Mbps).  When I first moved in, we was only able to get 2Mbps from BT.

I was wondering if Virgin Media, offered a service where you can pay a charge to have it brought into the estate as there is Virgin Media services available (Metres from the estate)

Thanks

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey DCICORTEZ, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

@nodrogd has absolutely hit the nail on the head with the response provided here, thank you for that. In terms of the question you've asked on the latter part of your post unfortunately it isn't something that would be possible to do. What I can do is private message you - take some details, pass them onto the relevant team and they would take it from there. There is no assurances though that anything would change - but we can always check for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DCICORTEZ wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the estate has been here for 5 years & only has Openreach providers available (Max up to 80Mbps).  When I first moved in, we was only able to get 2Mbps from BT.

I was wondering if Virgin Media, offered a service where you can pay a charge to have it brought into the estate as there is Virgin Media services available (Metres from the estate)

Thanks

The purpose of a spotter is to assess if an unserved or unlisted property can be added on a road where there is already infrastructure in place. The budget to add a single house only allows for the digging of around 10 metres of tarmac. What you would need amounts to network infill, which would run into figures of £100k+, & would also be dependent on there being enough capacity to add those properties to the existing network. Because of the expense & there being no guarantee of getting the majority of properties signed up in order to get a return, VM don’t do many infill projects now.