cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low device signal strength on Hub 5

Chris_Myers
Superfast

So, having rebooted my Hub 5 following a broadband upload speed boost, I ran a network check on the hub and was told there were WiFi Issues.  The upshot is that two devices were flagged as "The device has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 5" followed by "Please place your Wi-Fi device near the Hub 5". 

Firstly the messages do not identify which devices these messages refer to, but also the whole purpose of Wi-Fi is NOT to have the device immediately adjacent to the hub. I already need two Wi-Fi extenders to get the signal from my router (upstairs study) to devices (including TIVO box) in my downstairs lounge. Questions:

1. What Device is having a problem (is there a simple way to identify this)?

2. Are Virgin Media honestly saying they cannot provide a stable Wi-Fi Service unless I put all my devices in the same room as the router?

10 REPLIES 10

Chris_Myers
Superfast

In addition, the Hub 5 status overview shows connected ethernet and wi-Fi devices, but these are not picked up in the full connected device list even after a refresh.  Why are same devices not shown in both lists?

chg128
Joining in

set the hub5 as modem, get the better wifi router like ASUS etc . job done ! 

As above. Plus do the low signal alerts specify a MAC address for the affected devices? If so the devices can be identified via their network settings. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Chris_Myers
Superfast

No, the Network report does not identify specific devices.  It just reports poor signal on a device and advice to move the device next to the router (kind of defeats the object of Wi-Fi connectivity). 

I have nearly a dozen wi-fi devices around the house covering iPads, iPhones, Printers, laptops, TIVO boxes etc.  What use is the VM router if the answer is to use someone else's bit of kit!  Surely Virgin media should be able to provide me with appropriate service throughout my standard 3-bedroom house without having to go out and buy a separate and expensive Wi-Fi Hub - I already use 2x WiFi extenders to get a signal from my Router in my study (upstairs) to my TV device in my lounge (downstairs).  Just another example of a poor provision of service and support by Virgin Media.

Chris_Myers
Superfast

I still cannot understand why an issue is identified with a device, but not which device is referred to or why I am told to move a wi-fi device closer to the hub when the whole purpose of wi-fi is remote access.  would anyone at VM care to explain?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you have an iPhone download the Apple AirPort utility. You can use this, after updating in the setting and turning on "WiFi Scanner", to see what signal you are getting in each location. Also identifies all SSIDs and you can see if there is channel overlaps.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hey Chris_Myers, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Did the advice below help at all?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Missing the point. The hub can tell me what devices are connected.  I know where the devices are in my own house.  I already have a hub plus two extenders to get the signal between floors, and front to back, in my standard 3 bed house.

The fact that VM knows this, but can only tell me "a device" has an issue and simply placing next to the router will fix all my comms issues just does not  cut it.  Their hub is not up to the task in a simple residential situation, the report is too generic, and, without multiple hubs, access to broadband for all the devices in the house (including digital phones (fixed and mobile), laptops, iPads, iPods, and TIVO devices is unreliable as their own unhelpful report indicates. Yes I can use apps to scan the house. Yes I can replace their equipment with better, more reliable solutions, but I am paying VM to provide a service, not so I can configure my own network infrastructure to cover their incapability. I expect better, but rarely get it.

As an example of how ridiculous I find this report and the responses received - I can just see a normal business office where the office manager is told by the network administrator that one of the workstations in that office has a poor signal, but if they'd all like to leave the desks and take their workstations to the server room, huddle round one of the hubs, and work there, then this would address the issue. Just as bad is to suggest that the alternative is to find the weak connection in the office themselves and then to move that workstation to another position in the office where the signal is better, but they need to share a desk with a colleague. I can imagine that managers response - can't you?