cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting out wifi to 2.4 and 5ghz

abim09
Joining in

We have multiple smart devices in our home - ring doorbell, probably upwards of 25 smart bulbs, smart plugs, alexa devices etc. Since moving to Virgin every so often our wifi has a 'toddler meltdown' and refuses to connect the devices until i do a factory reset.

With the most recent meltdown ive been unable to connect many of my lighbulbs back into the network. I figured I should maybe try and split out 2.4 and 5 to see if that would help.

I'm doing the following:

1. In wireless signal - im disabling channel optimization

2. In security im renaming the two channels - WifiName2 / WifiName5 - both have the same password.

When i click apply settings, for a short time both networks appear, but then 5 drops out and now 2 is showing up- but its not available (showing the grey spinning wheel against the name on iphone). I thought maybe it was a case of not waiting long enough, but 30 or so mins after applying the settings its still not working.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How can i get the two frequencies to work independently of each other and how can i get back to a point where my smart devices all live in harmony on my network without hiccups.

What am I doing wrong?! Help! btw, im not massively technically savvy, so please laymans speak please! 🙂

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

OMG ... Split WI-Fi again !  Why are folks advocating this ?  
Is it a cover for VM Hubs that are failing to function on both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz - Yes it is !

Is what you describe the implosion of a Hub 4 or 5 after having adjusted the SSIDs ?

It’s a hub 5, and yes I have changed ssid.

the reason I figured I should split them out is because a lot of my smart devices require a 2.4 frequency so I figured I may as well give them a dedicated channel to stop my hub from ‘imploding’ on a regular basis and then needing to go back around and resetting the best part of 40 or so devices 

Client62
Legend

The Hub 5 transmits on both 2.4Ghz (channel numbers 1 to 13)  and on 5Ghz (channel numbers 36 and above).

Splitting the SSIDs only changes the "names" of the Wi-Fi service and nothing else & though ( like folklore ) it repeatedly is mentioned as a fix for some connectivity issues, there are zero technical reasons why split SSIDs changes anything else that might improve compatibility.

We all know 2.4Ghz only devices can not receive the 5Ghz signal. So suggestions to disable the 5Ghz channel are again tinkering with the settings without a solid technical reason.

Hub 5 has the option to use the newest WPA3-SAE encryption mode which can be disabled in favour of the more mature WPA2-PSK. 

But Hub 5 has 802.11ax mode on both 2.4 & 5Ghz this can not be disabled & this could be the stumbling block.

What we have found it a TP-LINK RE450 / AC1750 Wireless Repeater will connect to both bands of the Hiub 5's Wi-Fi and the signal is re-radiates is dual band 802.11n and 802.11ac - this was successful in getting 2 Dell laptops connected where those laptops do not find the Wi-Fi from a Hub 5.

The thread re the Dell laptops is here, it comes across as quite the same situation as yours ...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Dell-Laptop-can-t-see-Hub5/m-p/5380959

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

OMG ... Split WI-Fi again !  Why are folks advocating this ?  

Its because for the Hub3's...  this was (still is!) a tried and trusted method for improving connection stability - been proven in many threads on here over the years. 

Agreed though... it is less useful for the Hub4/5 - they have other issues - but still worth a quick try IMO - particularly in concert with inactivating channel optimisation/smart wifi.   This allows you to fix each device onto the wifi channel you have determined to be best/strongest/least in use at its location - as determined by use of  a good wifi analyser App.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Would you be able to review the steps I’ve taken above and advise what I’m doing wrong and why I can’t connect to these split out networks, please?

Hey abim09, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this.

Have you tried going on the connect app to do this? 

You can also look at logging into the hub and this will allow you to change some settings.

Open a web browser and type "192.168.0.1" into the URL bar then press [Return]/[Enter] to load the webpage.

When the page loads, login using the router's admin credentials. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@abim09 wrote:

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Would you be able to review the steps I’ve taken above and advise what I’m doing wrong and why I can’t connect to these split out networks, please?

I have never done this.  But the Hub4/5 has been reported on here to be flakey and sometimes "undoes" the changes.  Someone else needs to comment - what Hub is it?

I dispense with the routing and wifi issues completely and only ever us Hubs in modem mode with my own router and wireless equipment - with the bands separated.  Perhaps you should consider that option - £40-100 should sort all the issues with improved routing and wifi control

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.