cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Doorbell and poor connection

Jojojojo7
Joining in

I have recently signed up for Virgin Broadband, I had sky previously and never had an issue.  Since Virgin went live I cannot connect my Pyronix Alarm panel and Nest to the Virgin router and my Ring doorbell had poor connection errors.  I also had poor Wi-Fi in most of my other rooms.  I asked for a POD which came yesterday after 4 weeks, numerous phone calls and WhatsApp conversation and I have set that up however it did take a few tries but its working now.

My Wi-Fi all over the house is great, but my Ring doorbell still had poor connection errors again.  I do have a Netgear extender and luckily the Ring doorbell. alarm panel and my Nest can connect to that but not the Virgin router. 

The Virgin engineer who came initially tried all sorts to help set my alarm panel, he failed and then I had the alarm guys come out they struggled and even the Pyronix support dialled in and couldn’t connect to the router, again we can connect all three devices to the Netgrear Extender.   I have search all the posts and I have tried and changed every setting mentioned but still no joy.  I just wonder if there is anyone out there that had a similar set up and found a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

get a router thats better with hub in modem mode

ASUS RT-AC65P Dual Band AC1750 Gigabit Triple VLAN, MU-MIMO, USB 3.1, QoS, Access Point/Repeater/Bri...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

You don't mention which Hub is involved or anything about the connectivity needs of your devices.

However with a Hub 5 expect to find very poor to no compatibility with 2.4GHz IoTs.

Hello Client62 yes I have the Hub 5 and yes the device all work with 2.4GHz so I guess I need a router with those capabilities ... madness a brand new router and it wont work with my existing devices

unisoft
Well-informed

@Jojojojo7 wrote:

I have recently signed up for Virgin Broadband, I had sky previously and never had an issue.  Since Virgin went live I cannot connect my Pyronix Alarm panel and Nest to the Virgin router and my Ring doorbell had poor connection errors.  I also had poor Wi-Fi in most of my other rooms.  I asked for a POD which came yesterday after 4 weeks, numerous phone calls and WhatsApp conversation and I have set that up however it did take a few tries but its working now.

My Wi-Fi all over the house is great, but my Ring doorbell still had poor connection errors again.  I do have a Netgear extender and luckily the Ring doorbell. alarm panel and my Nest can connect to that but not the Virgin router. 

The Virgin engineer who came initially tried all sorts to help set my alarm panel, he failed and then I had the alarm guys come out they struggled and even the Pyronix support dialled in and couldn’t connect to the router, again we can connect all three devices to the Netgrear Extender.   I have search all the posts and I have tried and changed every setting mentioned but still no joy.  I just wonder if there is anyone out there that had a similar set up and found a solution?

You'll need a booster likely as VM HUBS so poor at Wifi coverage (£1 shop router) but I don;t know how good or bad the VM ones are. You may get a better result from using your own router and having the hub in modem mode, but again, it all depends on router make and model. I use Asus routers (but high end) with Merlin firmware and its great with Ring, but we use channel 13 as know that's nice and clear but ring devices have rubbish antennas in them so router can't be far away or travelling through thick walls or metal obstacles or fish tanks or tiled walls as these all affect 2.4ghz. Some of the newer ring devices support 5ghz, but you need to use DFS channels like 100+ to get a stronger signal output and these channels are not usually available after reboot of router until 5-10 minutes has passed as they have to do regulatory radar checking before allowing use. Again, with your own router, you can either have additional WIFI routers in a MESH network to extend WIFI range, or opt for disc type extenders that can work as a mesh.