cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting 6E laptop to WiFi

wood296
On our wavelength

Had a new laptop, Christmas gift costing almost £1,000 Samsung Galaxy Book 3 but could not connect to my WiFi but would  connect at my friend's house to his Sky WiFi. Did all the usual checks and spoke to numerous virgin customer service people nothing made any difference, one got me to upgrade to a faster speed saying that was the problem, it wasn't, after the upgrade it still wouldn't  connect so i cancelled it. Next the technical staff tried to get me to sign up to some monthly subscription service saying they would be able to get me connected. I wasn't happy about that as i had connected numerous devices in the past without any problems and felt this was just some sales pitch. I ended up taking the laptop back and getting a refund. To replace it i have now purchased a HP Envy 360 and tried this evening to connect to my WiFi. Experiencing the same problem ' can't connect to this network ' after further investigation i realised both laptops require 6E connection. Does Virgin have 6E WiFi. Not a single member of staff including the tech people have mentioned 6E. So what's going on with virgin? I really want to keep my new replacement laptop. Will i have to find a new provider? Can anyone recommend BT Open Reach? Been with Virgin around 25 years.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

This is a replay of the carp that was posted on the 7th Jan.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Could well be a problem with the hub, but all WiFi 6e devices support the lower levels of WiFi  

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

wood296
On our wavelength

Yes i took the first laptop back for a refund as Samsung and Virgin could not explain why it would not connect. Have only just discovered looking at laptop specs that it was also 6E WiFi sadly this was after i purchased the new HP i am trying to connect. It would seem that Virgin don't connect 6E devises? I'm not technical but will Hub 5 let me connect 6E laptop? I have had my hub for years, very old dont know what model it is.

wood296
On our wavelength

Previously when i was trying to connect the first laptop, the one i ended up returning when i couldn't get it to connect i asked virgin if it could be my hub as its an old one but i dont know which but was never offered a replacement. I surely can't be the only person experiencing this with a new 6E device? 6E was never even mentioned by any of the virgin staff.

Client62
Legend

Click on http://192.168.0.1/ and you will be able to find out which VM Hub you have.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'll take a punt at it's something in the HP "Bloatware" that's causing the problem.  A bit like the "Killer" NIC software DELL installs on some of it's products.

The user on this thread is using Wifi 6E with no issues MacBook Air M3 Wi-Fi 6E Speed - Virgin Media Community - 5497443

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Has your VM Hub been configured to permit Wi-Fi connections only for devices that have a known MAC address ?

Screen shots of the Wi-Fi error messages when attempting a connection would be a help.