cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPTIONS FOR WIFI HAVE DISAPPEARED - IS THERE A REASON?

oner1
On our wavelength

Our wifi went down this morning. I have since reset in the usual way and we appear to be up and running again BUT.....

Previously we had 2.4gHZ and 5gHZ options and could choose which to use. Having rest there appears to be no longer an option - just one single wifi network name to choose from.

Is there a reason why this has happened?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM default (after reset) is to combine the bands onto one SSID - as you have discovered.

If you want them separate (good idea) you need to log into the Hubs settings go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network SSID's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them - the same as they used to be ?

Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM wants you to use defaults if your not happy with that you can get your own 1Gb router and use hub in modem mode.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM default (after reset) is to combine the bands onto one SSID - as you have discovered.

If you want them separate (good idea) you need to log into the Hubs settings go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network SSID's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them - the same as they used to be ?

Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

oner1
On our wavelength

Brilliant John. Thank you.