cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet - Green Light flashing on hub front

HenryT
Tuning in

Hi folks,

Came back to the flat after a few days away to find my internet wasn't working, and my Hub has a flashing green light on the front.

I've tried turning it off and on again; both for 30 seconds and then, the second time, for ten minutes.

I've reset the hub by pressing the reset button with a pen tip.

I've also individually unplugged and checked each cable going into the hub.

I've used Virgin Media's online diagnostic tool, as well as the phone one, and it tells me "Sorry, we can't run a test on your services right now."

Apparently there's no service outages in my area (Roath, Cardiff).

I'm at my wit's end and have no idea what to do. If I try to open up any help links on the app on my phone's data, it just times out. Trying to use the chat link on the PC just results in a dead link. I am finding it impossible to get through via chat or escalate this case. What should I do from here?

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I called them earlier, just tried again as a hail Mary and, alas, no dice. "It looks like there aren't any issues affecting service in your area at the moment."

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you trace the wires from your Hub to the Flat's connection cabinet, assuming there is one?  Just check all the connections are "finger tight".   I would hate to think you were accidently disconnected in the flats connection box.  Just a thought.

It will take a couple of days for a VM Mod to respond here, so it may be best to keep ringing VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. I've traced the line and it is screwed in tightly. Tried tightening it further to no avail.

I've been calling VM at 0345 454 1111 but they're outside of operational hours at the moment.

HenryT
Tuning in

To update further; I opened up my Hub's config and it says "No RF Signal" - so no connection to VM infrastructure, presumably.

I also live in a large house subdivided into flats; just asked around and the other tenants with VM are likewise experiencing a blackout, so I know it's not my wiring specifically.

It's frustrating that no issue is being identified when I input my post code. Going to hope this resolves itself before Monday, otherwise will have to get in touch with customer support.

It's very infuriating that when I try to call the customer support I get told to call again during operational hours; when they're apparently supposed to be working until 20:00 on a Saturday.

Hoping for some money off the next bill - even if it's only £0.80!

HenryT
Tuning in

So to offer an update, still no internet for me nor my neighbours. I think we need an engineer. I'm exceedingly agitated since I've a work deadline this week, while my girlfriend's going to spend two hours commuting to her job instead of working from home.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The fault is likely the drop line from the cabinet. VM do not monitor connections beyond the cabinet for obvious privacy reasons, so will not be aware of the issue. Weekend support is 100% offshore, so capacity is reduced. Sadly I also have to point out that VM is a residential service, which does not have to have round the clock support, nor a set down SLA for fixing faults. Try again today, or better still 8am Monday. A member of forum staff may also pick the thread up here.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

HenryT
Tuning in

Found the problem - someone smashed the grey box on the outside of the building, that's facing the pavement:

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-17 at 12.58.15_56984de4.jpg

I have an engineer appointment on Tuesday, hoping they can fix this.

HenryT
Tuning in

Further update: It wasn't just our house. We walked toward our high street and, along the roads leading there, several boxes have been destroyed - we counted at least ten. All smashed with the wires cut, with a few on the high street itself. Someone walked down our road and along the ajoining ones, all the way into town cutting as they went.

I've reported the crime to the police and they've asked me to get in touch with Virgin as soon as I can, in the event that the loose wires pose a risk. They've also given me a criminal reference number to pass on, as Virgin is the "aggrieved party" and, since no CCTV covers my house specifically, they'd be the ones that would need to pursue this further, apparently.

I'll be calling first thing tomorrow morning, but if any staff member can get in touch with me so I can pass the number on, please do so as getting in touch is quite difficult and time-consuming on the customer's end.

Like I said, there is now an engineer booked, but I'm worried he might not be ready to deal with a smashed box with where the wires have been cleanly cut.

Here are additional boxes, both Virgin and OpenReach, that have been vandalised:

photo_2024-03-17_18-30-57.jpgphoto_2024-03-17_18-30-56.jpgphoto_2024-03-17_18-30-55.jpgphoto_2024-03-17_18-30-54.jpg