cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Routing Issue

plynch66
Dialled in

Hi,

I believe there is a routing issue with the Virgin network which is preventing me from accessing my work e-mail. I am trying to connect to 'id.nordcloud.com' but the connection times out. This problem only started today and has been working fine for over a year.

Using traceroute on my PC, I can see that the packets never get beyond 'bagu-core-2b-ae91-650.network.virginmedia.net'

If I connect my work laptop to my mobile data hotspot, the traceroute completes successfully.

I did try the Virgin support WhatsApp chat function but they tried to sell me Wi-Fi pods to 'solve the issue' and then offered to send out a free coaxial cable instead......sigh.....

Is anyone here able to escalate this issue for me ?

Thanks,

Paultracert.png

68 REPLIES 68

Ha, south Warrington here, too. Yup, the Okta endpoint I'm using is a CNAME for*.awsglobalaccelerator.com - so that's explained away. What's interesting is it only seems to be limited to a single AWS datacentre (euw1-az1) - the other DCs seem to be fine for me.

No reply to the ticket yet, but I've left a bunch of "ping -t"s running. Hopefully some network bod will notice the increased packet loss (one can hope!)

MStrauss
Tuning in

I have been having the same issue with some webrtc communications systems and with the vodafone website. Traceroutes match yours.

Yep, exact same result with 'www.vodafone.co.uk' - this resolves to 'www-live.waf.digital-prod.vodafoneaws.co.uk' which (as the name suggests) is hosted in AWS.

Is there anyone from Virgin Media monitoring these forums ?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Is there anyone from Virgin Media monitoring these forums ?"

Yes, but it’s not a fault reporting system, customer services is. VM staff will get to posts in 2 or 3 days.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

"Yes, but it’s not a fault reporting system, customer services is."

I just got off the phone with Virgin customer services where, after over an hour and being put through to 4 (!!) different people/teams, I was told that I need to wait for the 'Forum Team' to deal with my issue because they were unable to help me....

asim18
Fibre optic

I'd be interested to know how long it takes to fix this issue. Should be a 10-20 minute fix tops from initial report to full resolution.

Almost 7 hours since first contact and we are still unsure whether the person who is supposed to fix this issue has even been notified yet. Hahahaha.

Zangoose
Joining in

I also have this problem (North West Area) and I've not been able to use services such as Slack, Signal, FlightRadar24 (site loads but no planes) for example. I found the feed FlightRadar24 uses and they seem to use AWS and it also timesout like your tests did as well.

I thought it would be fixed overnight but clearly not.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 081102.png

Very similar to my experience with customer services. Unfortunately most customer services advisors are not trained for this kind of issue and most big telecoms companies have little knowledge of what other departments actually do.

georgeS79
On our wavelength

So this is the 2nd day and nothing yet? I'm in the same region (Warrington) and have the exact same issue since yesterday morning.

Anyone from VM actually doing anything about it?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Some-sites-not-accessible-since-16-04/td-p/...

tgs1
Tuning in

I've had the same issue since yesterday morning, I'm in Great Sankey (Warrington). Most of my requests to AWS IP addresses seem to stop dead at: http://bagu-core-2b-ae91-650.network.virginmedia.net/