Did you mean: 

Modem Mode for Hub5x

bolto90
On our wavelength

When will Modem Mode be available for the Hub 5x

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Given VM reluctance in thinking they can *cough* do better for router mode this time around I guess they are waiting for more people saying its not fit for purpose.

---------------------------------------------------------------

bolto90
On our wavelength

It’s a little annoying as you expect to have this feature and even though they say it not available on the site, you just don’t know which router your getting until the engineer arrives 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes but its not a feature it more of a needed thing for the internet VM seem to forget years ago that how the internet was just a modem with a WAN IP and they just think double NAT is fine when its not and some routers with DDNS support might not work like that because they expect the WAN to have a WAN IP to update the DDNS.

So in the mean time just double NAT with DMZ to your setup some ports might be blocked like 25 and 22 and maybe some others.

mrthrt
Tuning in

Yesterday had VM install a new fibre line, 1Gb... The line works amazingly well but a few caveats. The DNS IP's provided by the Hub5x router cannot find some websites, inparticular sites associated with VPN and DynDNS. Installing manual DNS fixes this, or seems to - still testing.

Hub5x. OK, I like that it directly connects to the fibre via an LC connector. That's about it really, not much else to like about this unit.

You cannot set up your own network IP ranges. Are virgin aware that aside from 192.168.0.x there are a multitude of IP'a available for LAN setup. Aside from an inconvenience every hacker in the world now know my internal IP range.

Had to sdpend the best part of a day resetting everything for 192.168.0.x, even devices with DHXP enabled had to be rebooted due to long lease times issued by the previous router. And of course there's the devives with fixed IP addresses.... I still have stuff coming out the woodwork.

No fixed public IP option... OK, I get this for home use although for home workers it adds an additonal tier of security arounf access to internet based servers. In discussion, pre-order- it was indicated that we could switch to a business based account. Guess what, NOT with a Hub5x. NoDynDNS on a Hub5x either, another massive inconvenience.

easily solved by, at least partly, by setting up modem mode and then connecting a professional firewall (something like the feature rich Pfsense) but again the basic features of the Hub5x let me down.

The Hub5X is a VERY basic router/firewall. Simply enabling modem mode would give users the option to connevct something more feature rich. OK I'm now getting 1Gb and as a short term trade off this is acceptable. Short term though it also means i must keep my FTTC and phone lines, both of which were to be cancelled in order to mitigate, at least partially, some of the cost for the fibre line.

Client62
Legend

VM Child Safe is a DNS filter, this can be enabled by default for new customers and it may well block access to VPN / Social Media / Zoom and the like / Wi-Fi Calling.      We have disabled VM Child Safe in the VM online account.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Latest VM info is that modem mode at the earliest will be the start of next year  and that it's currently part of a test build so could be later.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I've got Gig1 going in on the 19th December, I'm currently on plusnet and run my own router and mesh network with a static public IP. I'm going to need to make some key changes to my network when I get the 5x due to the lack of modem mode. Static IP address will be handled by a container updating my cloudflare DNS via API. I'm tempted to change my mesh from Router Mode to AP Mode to save me having to re-add all my smart devices as a friend has also got VM Gig1 and he had to do similar due to his current WiFi password not meeting the complexity requirements required by VM.

It seems VM tries to force quite a lot onto us, WiFi Password complexity, Internal LAN range etc. so I'm really hoping modem mode on the 5x isn't all that dar away.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You will not get a Static IP from VM it be sticky and will change going from router mode to modem mode when it happens.

Use router mode like you have been with your kit to double NAT and DMZ to it.