cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M125 - which hub at installation?

gilbo2
On our wavelength

We are waiting for our M125 installation. Which Virgin Hub are we likely to receive with this as I'm reading lots of Hub4 issues at the moment which is concerning?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

HUB 3 or 4, unless you are in a FTTP area, in which case it would be a HUB 5x.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

HUB 3 or 4, unless you are in a FTTP area, in which case it would be a HUB 5x.

gilbo2
On our wavelength

Thanks for that, maybe I should push for a Hub3 on the day as we are not a fttp area, as I will be using my own router.

Spannerman1
Tuning in

I got a Hub 4, installed last week & yes there's the log in problem with it. Internet is working, just can't change any settings on the Hub.

The engineer linked to the outside box with a fibre cable through the wall, which goes into a media converter box to change to coax, which is then connected to the Hub 4. Reason being that if they change to full fibre they only have to remove the converter box and it's good to go.

If you get a Hub 4, make sure you can log in to it on the admin IP before your engineer leaves. Wish I'd done that! 

@Spannerman1 wrote:

....If you get a Hub 4, make sure you can log in to it on the admin IP before your engineer leaves. Wish I'd done that!....

That's a good point, if they don't have another hub for me on the day, I will check I can logon before they leave.

Yes, I've been following your Hub4 login issues, something so fundamental ends up a nightmare! I wasn't aware of the local optical link being installed, might be a region specific. Mind you, in our case, the cable into the house was installed over 20 years ago so I assume they will just connect the router to that.

One thing that has crossed my mind, probably a stupid idea though, have you tried switching off the Hub4, disconnecting the Coax cable at the back of it and switching the hub back on. I wonder then, if it will allow you to change settings before re-connecting the coax. Just a thought.

I am in a terrace, with no front yard. The pavement tap is right next to my wall. Our village was cabled a few years ago but I've just ended my Vodafone contract so decided to switch to Virgin. A team came and fitted the brown box to the outside wall a couple of days after I ordered my M125. 

The engineer actually managed to get the fibre link through an existing hole in the wall (my satellite dish cables) and explained the cable to coax box that he was fitting.

If your coax cable is already in place they may not be able to do that. Be interesting to know if they swap it to fibre 🙂

@Spannerman1 wrote:

If your coax cable is already in place they may not be able to do that. Be interesting to know if they swap it to fibre 🙂

I'll post an update after installation, not due for another 3 weeks though.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt if they will change the co-ax to RFoG fibre.  If your existing area was done with co-ax I would expect it to stay that way until VM start rolling out XGS-PON FTTP to all customers.

It will make no difference to your speed in any case.  I've had VM for a very long time on co-ax and never really had any issues.

As for the Hub 4, yes there are many reports here about the admin console not loading.  If this persists after a factory pinhole reset, then a replacement should be requested. The Hub 4 is the only VM Hub to have a fan btw, and this can also cause issues at times. 

The Hub 3 is still capable of giving good service and is IMHO a better unit than the Hub 4.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gilbo2
On our wavelength

@Adduxi wrote:

The Hub 3 is still capable of giving good service and is IMHO a better unit than the Hub 4.

Thanks for the info, I must admit I didn't think VM would want to spend time and money swapping out all my wires unless they had to.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Hub3🤞