cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency increase after changing to router mode - Hub 5

roodles
On our wavelength

I am rearranging some wiring and I have noticed latency double since switching hub 5 to router mode:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ab835b042e86ce6d7f67153eb1e4aa34db... 

Immediately before switching to router mode (using edgerouter ER Pro 8):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/094bff58e814487d1be1655f0db6de16c2... 

Any ideas?

My Broadband Ping - Virgin media gig1
10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Difficult to know without more extensive tests but there's something very odd going on there. 

Have you run BQM for a while in each mode with just one device connected by ethernet. Leaving your own router out of the equation. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

roodles
On our wavelength

Thanks. Any specific tests you would suggest?

The VM test tool reports no issues.

I was running in modem mode, I then did a pinhole reset and now running it in router mode. I have about 10 clients attached, 4 on ethernet and the rest on wifi. Nothing fancy!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You need to run for a few hours with everything removed except one ethernet device. Overnight if that's easiest. Are you running two BQMs, one for each WAN IP? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

roodles
On our wavelength

I'm running one BWM, I just updated the IP address when I switched it to router mode.

So are you suggesting I disable WiFi and just leave one device attached on ethernet?

What does that test look to prove?

Thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

It looks like rate limiting QoS/BWM

I suggest modem mode with a PC allow ICMP with BQM under a new IP

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It suggests to me that there are problems outside your own internal network. 

- jpeg1

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

or you can setup a new BQM for VM WAN gateway and see if thats flat

---------------------------------------------------------------

roodles
On our wavelength

Ah ok I might do that for the gateway IP, interesting

So I didn't do anything as I have been busy, and it seems to have sorted itself out. I wonder if it was network congestion or "settling down" (is that a thing) since I got a new IP address when I switched over to router mode.

Weird.

Glad to hear some of the advice has helped roodles.

How did you get on with this, is everything now okay?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?