cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 Modem Mode Repeated Issue

mermaids
On our wavelength

People help and advice required once again with the Hub3 modem mode. After the successful resolution to my initial problem on or around  3/3/23 the Hub modem mode behaved itself and the 3rd party router TP-Link Deco S4 providing improved WiFi speed and reception to all house areas, speed typically 130Mbps recorded on the 4K Firestick speed test. Broadband speed into the property 183Mbps.

In June reduced WiFi speeds were noted via the Firestick 10-18Mbps! Internet speed to the property was not the issue this was as expected around 183Mbps download. The issue is with the Hub 3 in that although when logged into the hub it says it is in modem mode. All 4 hub ethernet ports now provide internet access and hub WiFi is off - a "hybrid" mode.

No configuration changes to the TP-Link Deco S4 and no additional WiFi devices. No changes to the Hub 3. No property power interruptions and no loss of broadband service.

When the hub is in modem mode and working correctly just port 1 provides the internet access (the TP-Link Deco S4 connects to this port) and ports 2,3 and 4 are disabled along with the hubs WiFi.

To remedy the situation I am having to cycle power 2 or 3 times to get the hub to behave correctly and everything back to normal. Unfortunately this issue is occurring more frequently and on each occasion I am having to repeatedly cycle power to the Hub3. The last occasion was Saturday 15th July and the hub behaved for less that 24 hours so I left the hub as it was and called VM support on Monday morning - oh how I wished I hadn't. The support was based in India so lots of me asking for things to be repeated log support red 08000147398 - first chap did various things his end to then tell me my hub is in modem mode! Next I'm asked to unplug the third party router from the hub, he then does other things at his end and asks me to connect my iMac to port 1 on the hub and see if I can access the internet which I am unable to. Whilst he's doing further things at his end he tells me if I upgrade my package I can get a new hub. Next we check DHCP via the iMac system preferences/network/advanced followed by the Network Utility program to undertake a ping check. Address provided "No Route to Host". The issue is outside his scope and I'm transferred to the Gadget Rescue Team and I have to repeat my issue and what his previous colleague has done. Talk about a cost to have an engineer visit the premises etc - as this department cannot solve the issue I'm to be passed to Technical Support ??

I'm listening to music for an age before "Welcome to Virgin Media" and I'm back where I started but persist in the hope the system recognises me! No it doesn't and once again I'm through to the original department once more and treated as a new issue. I clarify my previous call and are transferred to the Gadget Rescue Team for a second time. I repeat my issue and situation and quote my Support Call Ref 08000147398. The reference is validated and I am passed on to the Technical Support team once more where I enjoy more music before "Welcome to Virgin Media" - words fail me, I was on the phone for 1hr 53 minutes and achieved no resolution to the issue and ended up with no internet and with potential cost for a possible engineering visit!!!

As I no have no internet connection I power off the hub and go and make a coffee. Approximately 15 minutes later I cycle power to the hub and yes you've guessed the hub is behaving normally in modem mode and everything is good once more - for how long I cannot say.

Bottom line is 1) The hub3 in modem mode is unstable and unpredictable 2) Please don't not call VM support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mermaids
On our wavelength

Hello Nathan an engineers visit would be appreciated and ask that you can arrange this. Apology for not replying immediately as I have been away for a few days.

Thanks Mike

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First thing is... VM agents have no knowledge of modem mode and wont offer any assistance. So disconnect the S4 and put the Hub3 into normal mode and unplug and restart it.  When its back up check connectivity and it it develops the same problem/issue  call it in again as a fault - they should be able to see it and book you a Tech visit. 

A VM person will help here but it can take a day or two

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Really is sad VM don't support modem mode when years ago thats how it was.

Just to be clear you have one TP-Link Deco S4 to hub and nothing else? As the hub only allows one source MAC.

can you test with just a PC to modem mode if thats stable

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there Mermaids 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see you are having an issue with your connection, I've checked our system and can see that there does seem to be some issues with the power levels which cannot be fixed remotely. I can arrange to send an engineer out for you so they can take a look at this for you.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

mermaids
On our wavelength

Hello Nathan an engineers visit would be appreciated and ask that you can arrange this. Apology for not replying immediately as I have been away for a few days.

Thanks Mike

mermaids
On our wavelength

Nathan works to date

Initial Engineers visit for the Hub/Modem issue identified a cable issue into my property. This negated any Hub replacement requirement until the cable issue is sorted and hopefully the cable is the only issue. VM sub contractors have run a new cable from the cabinet to my property, new cable install and connection complete Wed 9th August around 17:00hr. Hub in modem mode. 19:00hrs approx Hub is playing up as described initially and as I write I’m cycling power to the Hub in an attempt to get it to behave properly in Modem mode. No issue with date to the property 190Mbps Down, 36Mbps Up at 19:22. Can I ask that you request another engineer visit and that he is equipped with a new Hub or alternatively arrange for a new Hub?  Regards Mike