cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stream music from PC > ethernet > Hub 5 > hifi amp?

Davio
Tuning in

Is it possible to stream music from my PC (upstairs) via the ethernet cable I've run downstairs to my Hub 5 and then to my hi-fi amp which is sat next to it?

I'm currently streaming music via an ancient wifi dongle and the quality is not good - regular drop outs.

(I thought this would be simple but an hour of Googling just reveals a bunch of bickering pedantry in various music forums!)

7 REPLIES 7

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do - but basically you would need some form of streaming device connected to the Hi-Fi amp with audio leads, or by say Bluetooth.

There are various 'network players' and streaming amps available - though they may not all easily connect to your PC as such - easier to connect to content from the network.

There are some products that will let you play media stored on a PC - BT used to do one with a dongle plugged into the computer and portable unit that could connect to a HiFi.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Client62
Legend

You successfully configured this once before for streaming via the Wi-Fi adaptor.
Repeat the entire process with the NIC.

All references to the Wi-Fi adaptor's IP now need to be come the NIC's IP
The Windows Firewall and Sharing Options for the NIC need to be the same as for the Wi-Fi adaptor.

>

@g0akc wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do ...

How you cannot understand the simple and clear explanation provided is baffling.

Although it seems you did understand because you then offer the very vague 'solution' of "some form of streaming device" - even though that doesn't answer the question asked.

@Client62 wrote:

You successfully configured this once before for streaming via the Wi-Fi adaptor.

No I didn't. I bought https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/extenders-c181/usb-wireless-audio-sender-p2742 and just plugged it in many years ago.

The rest of what you've written does not come close to answering the question which is connection via ethernet.

fibreking
On our wavelength

For using the PC to run as a streaming server suggest looking at Plex. Most TVs have the Plex App so if you can plug the Amp into the TV you’re sorted. Nvida Shield is popular too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/pdyz8h/share_your_audiophile_setup/

Alternatively if you’re happy to pick into an eco system try Sonos:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/amp

g0akc
Problem sorter

What a rude response. I was trying to help you!  I ain't stupid but your description of what you are trying to do is rather vague.  If you are so dammed clever I wonder why you cannot simply research suitable solutions online, beyond 'Googling for pedantic threads' without asking dumb questions on a forum....

Anyway - perhaps you should look at Audio over Ethernet solutions - sometimes called 'stereo over Cat 5' you can purchase units that work in pairs over CAT5 cable from around £30 - I'm not sure how well they will work within a network that includes Ethernet switches or whatever (they, or some, should do as the better ones perform well in various industrial/professional situations including in stadiums) - if you still want to be networking the PC upstairs to the 'hub' downstairs over a single cable you will need to either add switches or another dedicated Cat 5 (or higher) cable for the audio feed.

Use phono cables to connect your PC sound card at one end and amplifier input at the other. The main drawback with this can be the lack of control.

Or maybe you are looking for some other solution that might include a 'share' of content on the PC with another device local to the amp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

I barely dare to add a further response/suggestion but here goes;

If I wanted to stream content from a remote PC, via an Ethernet connection, and feed the audio to an amplifier I would look at using a media player (probably an Android box) that supports NFS/SMB (Samba).  Best of course if it's connected to a TV to be able to view what's going on.

A more elegant solution is to use a NAS to store the media and then access that from the PC or other devices such as media players on the local network.  Some 'hubs' or routers can be used as a 'poor man's NAS' by plugging a storage device such as a USB stick in the back.  I've no idea if the VM Hub 5 supports that.

These allow 'streaming' of the content over Ethernet