cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet problem

Aych
Joining in

Hi all

Sorry if this is long winded but I wanted to cover everything that has been tried.

I have an ongoing problem and after 5 calls to the Virgin help desk over the last seven days, many reboots and resets of the Hub3, endless tweaks from their end and even them sending me a replacement hub 3 they are unable to help me.

The problem lies with my ethernet connection.

When I turn on my ethernet connected desktop computer (windows 10) there is no internet connection at all.

I have run the windows trouble shooter and get the message ‘ethernet doesn’t have a valip ip configuration – not fixed’

I have updated and reinstalled network drivers

I have disabled IPv6, disabled and re-enabled IPv4 and other suggested tweaks from google.

I have fired up my old desktop on a different ethernet cable – same problem, no internet until I reboot the router

I have fired up my laptop on a third short ethernet cable, same problem.

Both the old and the new replacement hub show a constant pinky/orange light although they are not overheating and the help desk was unconcerned about this.

I have found that if I turn off my Hub3 and turn it back on then the connection is suddenly there and is stable all day until I turn off my pc again.

This daily chore of rebooting the hub is getting to be a pain, especially as my wifi connected smart things are really not liking the constant hub reboots

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Two Hubs exhibit the same fault, what are we missing ?

1) Are there some kind of Powerline adaptors or Wi-Fi Repeaters or a network switch between the VM Hub 3 and the computers ?

2) If you login to the menu of the Hub 3 at http://192.168.0.1/   does it say:   Internet ( Online )

3) Do mobile phones connect and work via the Hub Wi-Fi?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Client62
Legend

Two Hubs exhibit the same fault, what are we missing ?

1) Are there some kind of Powerline adaptors or Wi-Fi Repeaters or a network switch between the VM Hub 3 and the computers ?

2) If you login to the menu of the Hub 3 at http://192.168.0.1/   does it say:   Internet ( Online )

3) Do mobile phones connect and work via the Hub Wi-Fi?

Aych
Joining in

Many thanks for the comments, sorry I have been MIA but I was ill and haven't been up to crawling under desks to mess with reboots etc.

@client62, there are no repeaters, meshes or adaptors on the setup. All iphones and ipads tv's connect to the wifi fine

A couple of things that I did learn though - I left my PC running for the last 5 days straight and my ethernet connection hasn't missed a beat.

When using my windows 11 laptop, which only has wifi, no ethernet, it could see the virgin wifi but could not connect to it at all. I ended up hot spotting it to my iphone.

Could the problem be a windows issue?

So I have ordered the router as suggested by @legacy1 which will be here in the new year and then i will get back onto sorting this problem.

Happy holidays folks

Hi @Aych,

Thank you for your post and expanding on the situation. Sorry to hear you've been a little under the weather recently too, I hope you're feeling much better today.

If you continue to have issues with your services with the order of a third party router that you've mentioned, please let us know and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Aych
Joining in

So I got the new router as suggested by legacy1 and put the hub into modem mode and all is good.

Will probably never know what the original problem but this was an easy fix. As a bonus my wifi is much better too.

Thanks for your help everyone

Glad to hear everything is okay.

If you need anything in the near future do let us know 🙂

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?