cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting routers to multiple internet cables

danlemarquand
Joining in

Hi 

I am trying to improve the performance of my wifi to cover a dead spot at the furthest point from where my router currently sits. The room with the dead spot has got a fibre input cable (split directly from the box outside my house) where a Virgin Media TV box was previously plugged in and I have tried plugging in the router here today and it also works. 

Is there a way for me to have two routers, one plugged in to the existing cable and another into the room with the deadspot? Be that a Virgin Media router or an off the shelf one? I've read a bit about Ethernet cables and wireless mesh networks but connecting to the existing and functioning fibre cable feels like the most sensible option if it was possible! 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Connecting two VM Routers will be two Contracts.  So it is possible, but expensive.  You can't use the VM cables for any 3rd Party routers.  Best to run an ethernet cable to a switch, and use this switch to run an additional Wifi access point. Plus you will have additional ethernet ports to boot !.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Connecting two VM Routers will be two Contracts.  So it is possible, but expensive.  You can't use the VM cables for any 3rd Party routers.  Best to run an ethernet cable to a switch, and use this switch to run an additional Wifi access point. Plus you will have additional ethernet ports to boot !.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks