cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android phone shows 'connected without internet' when my windows PC is turned on and connected to WiFi

Boogz
Tuning in
  • Whenever I boot my Windows PC up and it's connected to WiFi or Ethernet, my partner's phone loses Internet connection amd says 'connected without internet'. The only way I have found to fix this is to turn my PC off or disconnect it from my Virgin router. My phone, however, does not have this issue. We both use android on similar versions. My PC is running Windows 11. I have ensured that my PC is not downloading any updates and no processes show as using the network while this issue persists. 

This has ultimately made it impossible for my partner to use her phone while I am using my computer for anything, even just browsing the Web. The only way we have found to make things work is for her phone to be right next to the router. Anywhere else and the problem persists. We live in a small 2 bed flat on the ground floor and only interior walls separate us while I am in the office. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Yes the hub can cause odds problems for some that are truly baffling I think the only way forward is to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Yes the hub can cause odds problems for some that are truly baffling I think the only way forward is to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.

asim18
Fibre optic

Agree with legacy1. In my opinion, VM's hubs are extremely cheaply produced and very badly designed with very slow firmware that doesn't even let you block incoming ping requests. 🤣

Get a proper router from a reputable brand.

In the mean time you could try assigning local IP addresses manually on your partner's phone and your PC, instead of letting the VM hub assign the IP address. If the issue is caused by an IP address conflict this "might" fix the problem.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@asim18 wrote:

... that doesn't even let you block incoming ping requests. 🤣

Their was a time where it did block incoming ping requests and people who wanted BQM had to disable the hub firewall (not that it should be called such a thing) and than port forwarding would not work! so VM gave in and allowed all ICMP.  

In fact this is what I would call the firewall option in the hub as mystery option💩

Hi, thanks for your fast response. I have gathered quite a bit of anecdotal evidence to support the decision of buying another router. I don't have the time or patience to faff about any longer with this issue as its causing us both stress. So yeah, I impulse bought a new one not long after you posted this (not just based on your response, but others too!). Thanks again!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

What you getting out of interest?

Hi, thanks for your speedy response. As I said to legacy1, I impulse bought a new router and will run the VM hardware in modem mode. This should be delivered tomorrow. I went for a TP Link AX3000. You may berate me for this choice, but on the Amazon reviews it seemed to be bought by quite a few VM customers and solved a lot of their issues. It's within my budget and should accommodate the small number of devices in my flat. If it turns out crap, I can always return it!

TP Link AX3000

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Should do nicely

Good stuff, thanks for your advice!