cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOS] [Please Help] Virgin mix up Notice of leaving and 30-day early termination, and keep charging me

Chun
On our wavelength

My contact is 18-month ended on 22/3/2024.
The T&Cs says: ...If you want us to stop providing the services at the end of your minimum period you will need to give us at least 30 days’ notice...

Relevant post in this forum:https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/EXACTLY-30-days-notice-no-more-no-less/m-p/400665...

Therefore, on 5/2/2024 from 16:10 - 18:33, I contacted Vigin online CS and said I'll stay with Virgin until the contract end date. I also clarified with the staff that it's not early cancellation, no EDF, no contract extension, reject their offers and tell them I'll change service provider (I'm using new ISP w.e.f 23/3). 

Right after this conversation, at 18:49 Virgin sent me a disconnection confirmation email to me:
Subject: Disconnecting your Virgin Media services
Content: ... We’re sorry to hear you’re leaving us on Fri 22 Mar. As a last hurrah, we want to make sure your disconnection is as smooth as possible...

No further email from Virgin since then.

But on 24/3, I noticed that they already charged me £79.20 for 23/3 - 22/4.
I sent an email to them to report the issue immediately.
However, after back-and-forth emails and a conversation on WhatsApp (They approached me), they keep asking me to contact them for new offers and claiming that: ...Upon checking your account, I can see that there was a disconnection booked and later it was cancelled on the same day as you was not satisfied providing the 30days notice. Hence the service remains active and you will continue to be billed....

It's not true. On 5/2, I spent a lot of time clarifying the notice and place a leaving notice. Clearly the staff understand that, and hence they sent me the disconnection confirmation email (...We’re sorry to hear you’re leaving us on Fri 22 Mar...)
22/3 is the end of my contract.
I also told them I'll change service provider (and now using the new ISP since 23/3 -  I'm determined to leave, never change my mind, so I never cancel the scheduled disconnection). 
If they think on 5/2 it was a 30-day early termination, then email should say ...We’re sorry to hear you’re leaving us on 4 Mar... and send me a bill for Early termination fee
If the scheduled disconnection was cancelled, why there's not any cancellation email from Virgin?
Can you see the contradiction here?

Two days ago (2/4), the CS approached me via WhatsApp, saying the same things, and 
...I do understand that, as you request not to disconnect due to the early disconnection fee will be apply on the account, the agent cancelled the disconnection request...
I asked when and which staff cancel it? They didn't answer my question, then mentioned:
final bill is £0 and also you will receive a refund of £47.98 on 22/05/2024
and soon they ended the conversation and went to questionnaire session.

3/4 They send me an email - Your Virgin Media bill is ready (£84.74 for 23/4 - 22/5)

4/4 today Latest reply from Virgin: ...as investigated I can see that the disconnection request has been taken and will get fully disconnected on 2/05/24 and post the disconnection you will receive the final bill...

Please HELP!! 
The disconnection should have been done on 22/3.
I've packed all Vigin stuff, waiting for their return packaging, and using new ISP w.e.f. 23/3
All I request is fully refund and stop the new bill.
They always ignore the facts I mentioned on my every emails, never answer my questions, only provide wrong solution - Charge me again and again after 22/3.

Buddies, How do you feel? I'm worried and nervous when read their email repeating the same thing without answering my questions and charge me again and again. Can anyone help? Is there anything I can do before going to Ombudsman?

05.02.2024 Virgin disconnection confirmation email.png

20 REPLIES 20

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Chun,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue with your disconnection, we would like to look into this further with you, for me to do so I will need to confirm some information from you via a private message.

Joe

Chun
On our wavelength

Joe, Thanks for the message. I just reply to your private message.

Chun
On our wavelength

Dear friends in this Forum, I would be grateful if you could share your views, feelings and similar experience on this topic. In the past weeks, I feel stressful and depressed because of this terrible experience from Virgin. Any opinion would be great help to me!
I'm keeping the transcript, emails, WhatsApp conversation. If you need any information, I'll do my best to provide in order to solve the problem in the right way.

Chun
On our wavelength
Today 5/4 an email from Virgin. Their reply is illogical and ignore the facts again, making me stress out 😭
My comment is highlighted in Blue below.

We understand that your contract is ending on 22/03/24 (My contract has ended on 22/3/2024, I placed a notice of leaving on 5/2/2024 in line with the T&Cs. Please respect to the T&Cs), however as per your records we could not find any documentation on your account that you have cancelled the services (I have that record: The disconnection confirmation email from your side dated 5/2/2024 at 18:49 - "Disconnecting your Virgin Media services". I don't care why you can't find that record, that email is the solid evidence.) , even when the contract ends its customer's choice to disconnect the services or discuss a different deal or stay with the same package. (Not applied to my case, the disconnection on 22/3 has been scheduledconfirmed from your side via emailin black and white.)

As there is no disconnection thats been placed the bills will be generated and it stands valid. (No, the bills of £79.2 & £84.74 are invalid. I don't care what mistake you've made for the scheduled disconnection, customer should NOT suffered from your mistakeYou should NOT charge that money.)

Now that you have placed disconnection request on 02/04/24 the services will be disconnected on 02/05/24. (You sent me disconnection confirmation email for this date. If this email is valid, how can you ignore your disconnection email dated 5/2/2024? You're playing double standard.) the Post which you will receive your final bill and the return kit to return the equipment back to virgin media.

The email or SMS from VM is enough as proof. They ONLY send that when it's a disconnection procedure going.

If you have copy of the online chat that is good. If it was telephone you could make them go through pain of Subject Access Request (SAR) under GDPR as notes on system, emails, letters and call recordings would have to be given (there are some exceptions under SAR).

ISPA and OfCom are routes for this as OfCom already investigating VM's leaving practices....

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

VM will bill ahead UNTIL disconnection has happened, so like me, you may get a bill for month ahead but this gets either credited back or a cheque sent within 28 days. DO NOT stop any Direct Debits as they have 100% efficient and grade A process for degrading credit records and passing to debt handlers.

DPJ
On our wavelength

I too have cancelled my broadband having given notice on 20/03/2024. My contract with Virgin Media should be terminated on 24/04/2024. I have received emails and a text message confirming these details. My new ISP will be installing their equipment on 08/04/2024 and when that is up and running I will remove the VM router and pod for return. I had been on a reduced rate for my internet and phone but this is set to rise to £68 which is just one of the reasons I'm leaving. The reason for this post is that I am seeking assurance from forum staff that my contract will end on 24/04/2024 as agreed. 

Chun
On our wavelength

Thank you mate! You're brilliant! I'll take you advice and definitely send my case to the Ofcom open investigation. Do I need to make a separated complaint to both ISPA and OfCom?

Virgin try every excuse - at the beginning, claimed that I cancelled the request because of early termination fee - not true, they mixed up the notice, I've placed a notice of leaving in line with T&Cs; and now claimed that They can't find the documentation - Hey I attached this confirmation back to you in my every email reply! You must have the same record! The email is sent by you!

IMG_8778.png

Make your disconnection as smooth as possible? What a joke! Greedy, illogical, illegal! Is it the way you do business? to become one of the biggest ISPs in the UK?

  

Chun
On our wavelength

Hi DPJ, It's very stressful and makes me depressed. They talk to themselves, never respond to the evidence I provided, and send me another new bill. It's like talking to the air!!

I sincerely hope that you won't encounter the same situation about your disconnection. Please could you give up ann update after 24/4? It'll be great help! 

Chun
On our wavelength

Apart from downloading the transcript from the chat box, I also archive the conversation by taking photos and video.

From the beginning to the end, I always emphasize I'll complete the contract, not early cancellation of services therefore no EDF Early Disconnection Fees etc

Chun_6-1712526281879.png

After clarification with 2 CS staff members, here's the conclusion at the end of the conversation. Clearly the Virgin staff understand that it's a Notice of leaving and it met the T&Cs - Right after the conversation, at 18:49 Virgin sent me the confirmation email for the scheduled disconnection (as the picture above):
Subject: Disconnecting your Virgin Media services
Content: ...We’re sorry to hear you’re leaving us on Fri 22 Mar.....

Chun_5-1712526093831.png

Chun_4-1712525905978.png

Edited: add two photos and info