cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold upgrade and messed about no end.

Iridite
Joining in

A month or so ago I called Virgin and asked to upgrade my package.  I explained that I wanted to watch Virgin TV services in a second room in the house but that room had no Virgin Coax cable going into it.  I was told that if I upgraded to the Volt package that I would be sent new hardware (we had an ancient Tivo box, more than 8 years old and a fairly old router) with TV360 and TV360 mini boxes and, most importantly, that the 360 mini box in the second room would connect over Ethernet.  

After the hardware arrived I installed it and it became immediately obvious that this wasn't the case - although the 360 mini box can connect over Ethernet, this is only for streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and so on, you can't watch the Virgin TV services using this connection.

As part of the upgrade, I was also promised an unlimited Data and Calls 02 sim card - this has never arrived.

I think in total I've had 6 separate conversations with Virgin staff all of whom have given me conflicting and often completely incomprehensible advice (I raised an official complaint about the missing 02 sim card and received a very long winded reply that told me to switch my router off and then on again and this would solve the problem).

Today I finally gave in and contacted the Cancellation department - after a 45 minute chat conversation I was told that the 02 sim was only for new customers and that it didn't matter that the TV360 box in my second room wasn't connected to Virgin TV services as I wasn't paying extra for it anyway (my bank balance strongly disputes this).  I was offered £10 off my monthly contract price and no other solution.

I honestly don't know what to do next - I've spent literally hours talking to staff who seem to know close to nothing about their own services and there has been no acknowledgement that I was both given incorrect advice about the hardware and I haven't received the Sim card that I was promised.

Anyone have a suggestion for me?

thanks in advance

Jason

4 REPLIES 4

Iridite
Joining in

I should add, been a customer of Virgin for 14 years.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Make a DSAR to obtain the original call recordings of all your exchanges.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dsar

(there is a 180 day time limit AFAIK on call recording retention)

If you have made a formal complaint and you received a nonsense reply you can reject the VM 'resolution' and progress the matter to arbitration via a deadlock letter from VM (or in any case 8 weeks after your first complained)

https://www.commsombudsman.org/our-process

It sounds like your formal complaint was badly handled with an irrelevant reply.

You can share your unhappy complaint experience with OFCOM.

They launched an investigation into VM on 13 July 2023 specifically into VM's cancellation and complaints processes.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

Case ref. no. and an email at the bottom of the above page or submit with same info via the contact form

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Submitting information won't help your individual complaint but it will contribute to the OFCOM investigation and it sounds like your experience is directly relevant to the terms of reference of the investigation.

The VM forum team will reply here within a few days and may be able to bypass the above if they can help you.

Hi there @Iridite 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you with us. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your service and have had this experience with our teams, I can fully understand how frustrating this must be. 

I'd like to take a closer look into this with you via a private message and see what we can do. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Iridite
Joining in

Just an update to this post, 4 months into the whole mess and absolutely no further forward.  In private messages from Virgin they promised to help and then completely blanked me.  When I did get a response I had to jump through various security hoops for weeks only to be given more nonsensical replies.  The opeartive I was talking to said they were going to request a copy of the original telephone call so that they could confirm what was actually said at the time, this hasn't happend within a month so I've now requested a Deadlock letter and will take my case to Arbitration.  Again, I've been a customer of Virgin for over 14 years, never once complained about anything before this (it's not in my nature), this is hands down the worst customer service I've received from any company I've ever dealt with.