cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving phone to new fibre

sjw211
Up to speed

I've had the email telling me the phone line will be moving to a new fibre supply.

Currently, my router (SH3) is in an upstairs office and the phone is in the hall.  The phone is not supplied from the Hub.

See below for how it looks from point of entry into the house.  It comes through the wall into a 'box', out of it to a splitter that then goes to the Hub and to the V6 box.

PXL_20231110_103628588.jpgPXL_20231110_103732153.jpg

However, there is also a thin wire that comes into the house and this is what goes to the box in the hall that the phone connects to.

Externally, it appears the cable supply to the house is actually two 'joined' cables - one is for broadband and the other is for the phoneline?  The thin wire that comes into the house is connected to a couple of strands from one of the incoming cables.  I was surprised I could just lift the cover externally and see the cables as below.

PXL_20231110_104624446.jpg

Is this the part that's being decommissioned?

Do some/most customers have their phones connected directly to the router already but need to just add the adaptor I've been emailed about or is my way the default and many will need to have a cable routed from the Hub to the phone and then add the adaptor at the point of switchover?

I'm trying to understand how some customers just need to add the adaptor at switchover time - how is their phone connected currently?

So, do I need to arrange a visit for work to be done - and if so, can this be done in advance of the date next year?

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location).

Modifying the phone wiring may require some changes to internal cables in the home. How much work is involved will depend on existing locations of equipment and cable routes alongside any aesthetic considerations.

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Hey sjw211,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

goslow has added some amazing advice to the thread and there is nothing else that I can add to that other than asking, if you would like me to get a technician booked to make the changes to your landline setup?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks.  Does the cable then come out of the Hub (with an adaptor) and go to the existing box in the hallway and the phone still plugs into that?  Can a phone plug directly into the SH3 for example?  I'm thinking if I can source an additional handset I could relocate the 'master' close to the SH3 and put the new one in the Hall to replace the relocated one.

Thanks for coming back to us sjw211, your landline would plug directly into the back of your hub via the adaptor. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you are switched to a phone connection from the hub, all of your telephone wall sockets will stop working. Your only phone connection will be on the back of the hub.

VM provides you with an adapter and you plug in an ordinary phone using the adapter via the TEL1 socket.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

For those with cordless phones, they can plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use cordless satellite phones around the home as required.

If you would like to continue using telephone extension sockets in your home with the phone connection from the hub, VM can modify your home wiring to do this.

One method often described on here is that VM fits a phone socket next to your hub position and links this new socket to your existing phone wiring. VM can then use an adapter lead like this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M262932...

to link the hub phone socket to the new wall socket and 'back-feed' the telephone connection from the VM hub into the telephone wiring so making the wall socket work once again.

From you pictures, VM may be able to run a new phone cable from your hub location (following the path of the coax cable for the hub) down to your location in photo 1. The phone cable in photo 3 would be cut to disconnect the external black cable from the internal white cable (with the multi-coloured cores). The new phone cable from the hub could be poked through the wall to the omnibox outside in photo 3 and the new phone cable joined to the internal white phone cable so linking your telephone wall sockets to the hub.

We don't see in your photos where the white phone cable goes to. There may be other ways of doing the job. You would need to agree the details with the VM tech on site depending on where your existing cable runs go and what is acceptable to you from an aesthetic point of view.

If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another satellite handset to the existing system and put the cordless base next to the hub and avoid any rewiring work.