cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not receiving incoming calls

gwellings
Joining in

I’m trying to help my stepmother with her Virgin home phone which she’s been struggling to get properly connected for the last 2 months, with many calls to Virgin and engineer visits, but still no joy. 

She’s had all new equipment for installed in the last month, and internet and tv is working fine. However the phone is only allowing outgoing calls. When we dial out, all is fine - the call goes through and the correct number shows up via caller ID, so the line is working.  However when you try to call the number you cannot get through, all you get is three short beeps and then the call disconnects.  

I have read of similar issues on here but don’t see an obvious fix.  Any ideas? 

9 REPLIES 9

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gwellings 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that you and your stepmother are having issues with their landline at this time. 

Just to confirm, was the landline number ported in from the previous provider or have you kept a new number that was supplied by Virgin Media for the new install? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

In July we had to change the Virgin media account into my stepmother’s name, as my father passed away.  That resulted in a new contract, but there should have been no change to the phone, it was a Virgin Media number and continues to be, however that seems to have been the triggered a change.  As far as I’m aware there should not have needed to be any change of number. Certainly no other provider has been involved.  

Okay, thank you for confirming this @gwellings 

You're correct, the number should not have changed, lets investigate this further at our side. We'll need to pass account security on the account to be able to discuss.  

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

On our wavelength

Hi gwellings, I'm having the same issue with a new contract in my fathers name and currently trying to get sorted through their technical department. Did you get this sorted?

Hi @0011728 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear your father's landline is having a similar issue. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to do our best to help. Just to confirm, was there a number port recently done on the account? What was discussed with our technical when last contacted? When last were you in contact?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

On our wavelength

Hi, to confirm:

1. the account went from Virgin provider to Virgin provider (old contract from myself to new contract with my dad). Issued new router and cables and had to switch from previous phone line to connecting phone to hub.

2. Virgin should have continued the original landline number as agreed when setting up the new account.

3. However Virgin issued a new number. They were contacted and they agreed to switch back to the old number.

4. However, the phone only rings out and no-one can dial in.

Spoke to technical today (based in the Philipines???) who ran diagnostics and said there appears to be an intermittent fault which should hopefully resolve in 24hrs???? They will monitor and message me with an update or whether further technical help is required.

Thank you for this information. To best look into this, I am sending you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

On our wavelength

Well I replied to the PM but had no response back. Tehnical in the Phillipines messaged me today stating they had monitored my connection over the last 24hrs and its back up and running as normal. Whatever systems they use to monitor my phone connection then needs replacing as it is useless. The landline is still not receiving incoming calls

Hi @0011728 thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear your landline is still not receiving incoming calls.  And sorry any ongoing inconvenience this may be causing. I've checked and cannot find you response to my colleague, so I am going reach out privately.  On the subject of customer service, I am really sorry for the incorrect information you have reported receiving.  Regarding my private message, please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R