cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline move to broadband connection

kevinV
On our wavelength

If our landlines are being moved across to the broadband network (free wifi calling) then do we no longer pay telephone charges as we will be using our already paid for broadband connection to make calls.  This is the same as using our existing broadband to make mobile phone calls for free (Whatsapp etc).  I am expecting my phoneline charges to stop as they are no longer providing one. 

As an aside how do they expect those people who dont have broadband but only a landline as a means of outside communication, (and i am not only talking virgin but BT) to make phone calls.  I know there is this great move to digital but its the same as saying we will no longer use cash.   

2 REPLIES 2

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey kevinV,

Despite adjustments we've made to the landline setup, the underlying infrastructure and services that were previously necessary are still relevant and in use, which is why a line rental fee continues to apply.
Customers that don't currently have a broadband connection, will be installed with a router to be able to continue using their landlines, they will not need to take out a broadband package with us to do that. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kevinV wrote:

If our landlines are being moved across to the broadband network (free wifi calling) then do we no longer pay telephone charges as we will be using our already paid for broadband connection to make calls.  This is the same as using our existing broadband to make mobile phone calls for free (Whatsapp etc).  I am expecting my phoneline charges to stop as they are no longer providing one. 

As an aside how do they expect those people who dont have broadband but only a landline as a means of outside communication, (and i am not only talking virgin but BT) to make phone calls.  I know there is this great move to digital but its the same as saying we will no longer use cash.   

All that is currently being replaced is the copper pair between your house & the street node a few hundred metres away. Part of the transmission of cable telephones has always been digital, as only fibre was installed from the headend exchange to the nodes. Your hub now replaces what the street node did. This 1) allows for all fibre connections to be used & 2) from 2025, the old switched PSTN exchanges will be replaced with full VoIP. You are paying for using the switched infrastructure with your “phone rental” charge. Although some still call it “Line Rental”, quoting a separate charge for it is no longer allowed under OFCOM rules.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks