cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP country address incorrect

Cemb
Tuning in

I keep getting phone calls from VM stating that the country address of my IP is incorrect and they want to change it. Is this a scam? Thanks, Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Chris,

It will be a scam call, just block the number.

Providing you aren't using a VPN to mask your IP address then you can check that youhave a UK  IP address belonging to VM by going to 

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Cemb 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced these calls from us, this doesn't sound like a call from our teams. To clarify, do they request you to pass security at all when they call?

No, they don't ask any security questions. My husband answered this morning's call and said they ramble on and on about vulnerability and want you to go to Google to change something. He doesn't use google so he put the phone down.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Chris,

It will be a scam call, just block the number.

Providing you aren't using a VPN to mask your IP address then you can check that youhave a UK  IP address belonging to VM by going to 

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Cemb wrote:

No, they don't ask any security questions. My husband answered this morning's call and said they ramble on and on about vulnerability and want you to go to Google to change something. He doesn't use google so he put the phone down.

Sounds very much like a scam call.

The general format of the scam is that they try to convince you that you have a (fake) problem with your equipment/computer/connection.

The scammer offers to 'fix' the (fake) problem for you. To do this they say they need to take remote control of your computer.

They will typically ask you to download and install some remote control software.

Once you grant them access to your device, they will typically try to gain access to your online banking with a view to stealing money from you. Or they may try to steal personal information for the purpose of identity theft. Or they may simply lock your computer so you cannot gain access and demand a ransom to release it.

Best approach is simply to hang up on them when they call and not talk to them.

If you need to speak to VM for any reason, place an outbound call to the recognised support number(s).

Thank you Dave.

Thank you Ashleigh.

Thank you goslow.

Thank you for confirming @Cemb and thank you to our community forum team for their help too.

To confirm what the team have already stated, it does appear that this is a scam call. You can report these online here.

As long as no personal information was given there is no need to worry.

Thanks again. We did consider them scam calls but we were not sure. I have now investigated the phone number...01245440xxx which says that this number is primarily associated with fraudulent activities... a landline operated by BT, located in Chelmsford, England.

This may help anyone else who gets these calls. Thank you for your help.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]