cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ebul V3 need to be connected to the Router?

restyler
Tuning in

Ive just switched across from Sky Broadband & Landline to Virgin & had requested an emergency back up line.

The engineer connected the Hub- v3 last week & told me the Ebul V3must be charged for around 8 hours before use.

So Ive now attached the Ebul to the wall next to the router & it gives me a dialtone when I lift the handset, but as no instructions was left with any of the kit I'm not sure if the phone cable from the Ebul needs to be connected direct to the router or to my regular phone socket or does it not need to be connected to anything if it uses its own built in sim to make calls?

Any advice - or even a wiring diagram would be welcome

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your very informative comments & links Goslow.

Using those, together with the testing Ive just done today, I think I can now write the definitive version of how the Motorola FW500 Emergency Back Up Line  (EBUL V3) works and how it can be connected to the Router if you so wish, although it works just fine if you leave it unconnected, (but still powered from its mains adaptor).

So, the VM EBUL v3 is a Motorola FW 500 unit that contains a sim card supplied by VM that can operate on a multitude of mobile networks. The Sim card number is usually on a sticker supplied in its box - (handy to stick this to the phone somewhere)

You have it permanently connected via its mains adaptor to keep it charged up, & in the event of a power loss youve got at least 8hrs of call time - or far more if just left in standby.

It has a single phone cable connected to it which is terminated with a regular BT 431A phone plug. If you want to connect it to the RJ11 'Tel1' socket of your VM router you'll need an RJ11 to BT plug adaptor like this. And if this RJ11 socket is already occupied by a cable to your landline phones, then you'll also need a line splitter adaptor like this so that both RJ11 cables can be connected to theTel1 socket.

If the EBULv3 is used UNCONNECTED to the router, then it can be used at ANY time to ring ANY UK number  whether it be Mobile (starting 07), Landline (starting 01 / 02 / 03), Freephone, or Emergency numbers. It uses its built in SIM card to connect to the network and the person receiving the call will see the SIM number of the EBUL (starting 07).  Anybody can call the EBUL phone if they have its SIM number and ONLY the EBUL phone will ring. When used unconnected to the router you may not hear a regular dial tone from its handset when picked up. All calls made via the EBUL, ( to the above UK numbers), will be FREE of charge as long as those types of call are normally part of your VM call plan.

If the EBULv3 is used CONNECTED to the router (whilst the router is working normally), then it assumes your regular landline phone number & becomes part of your landline array - and so will ring & can be answered if anyone calls your landline. If you make calls from it then anyone receiving those calls will see your regular landline number displayed. All calls from it will be charged the same as any other landline phone in your house according to your VM phone plan.  As soon the internet goes down or you have a power outage, the EBUL will detect the lack of signal on the Tel1 connection & automatically switch to SIM card mode as described above, reverting back to landline mode when the internet signal is restored.

I just wish the info that VM tells its engineers & moderators on here about the Ebul v3 was brought up to date, as most of the info they were telling me including the VM links at the start of this thread was just wrong & very unhelpful.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

28 REPLIES 28

Hi there @restyler 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry for any confusion regarding your phone line, and a big thank you to carl_pearce for their help and link to our online guide. Has this helped with your set up at all?

Thanks, but I'd already seen that page & unless I'm missing something its not all that helpfull as it just shows a dotted line between the ebul & the router without actually saying which connector on the router it should be plugged into.

I'm guessing its either Tel1 or Tel2 due to the plug shape, so its a 50/50, but it would be very helpful if the cables were labelled - but theyre not.

Any further clues?

The device must be plugged into Tel1, else it will continue to use the backup SIM to make calls.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Also keep it on charge.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ok Thanks - So do I now need some kind of adaptor so that both the Ebul & the regular phone line can share that same Tel1 socket?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM provides an RJ11 to BT adapter so that analogue handsets can connect to the TEL 1 port.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Just googled these plug numbers so I know what we're talking about:-

So Ive already got one of these RJ11 Plugs connected into Router socket Tel1 that travels around 4metres under a carpet terminating to another RJ11 plug that plugs into a VM adaptor next to the old VM telephone line wallbox that distributes the phone line to other sockets around the house. Worth noting that the old phone number has just been ported over today and all landline phones appear to be working via the Hub3 system (although I had to unplug a few phone extensions to keep the REN # down)

So my original question still remains - If the Ebul cable, which also terminates in a small RJ11 plug, also needs to be plugged into the Tel1 socket on the router, do I need to contact VM to supply some kind of adaptor so that both RJ11 plugs can be connected?

Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-Female-Converter-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B00OK8FPB2/ref=sr_1_3?

Thanks for coming back to the thread @restyler.

The phoneline should plug directly into the EBul, with the EBul having a cord that runs to the Hub that would then plug into the RJ11 adapter via the TEL1 port on the back of the Hub 3.

Hope this helps,

David_Bn