cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Landline Not Switched Over

Smudga
Tuning in

Last week an engineer replaced the 20 year old cable from street to my house. In doing so he removed my old landline (copper cable). 

I spoke to CS who said I simply needed an adapter for my hub 5, which I didn’t as my DECT phone plugs directly into the hub. Obviously no landline as nothing has probably been switched over on the VM side. 

I then received a text to say we’d be switched over on 21st November 2023, that’s 3 months away. 

I spoke to CS again who said they’d changed some settings on the backend and to allow 48 hours. I’m about to probably waste another morning trying to call CS…

Anyone else had this same issue or situation? If so, how did you solve it please? We can’t be without a landline phone for 3 months. 

Thanks

Shane

7 REPLIES 7

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Smudga 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you've not had the best experience with us. 

I'd love to take a closer look into this so will pop you a PM 📩 now to confirm some details and we can take it from there.

Speak to you soon 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks, I can confirm that the phone is properly plugged in and charged… surely any testing should be perform by the network provider? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @Smudga 
I've booked a technician for you to come out and have a look into the issue. You can find confirmation of the visit via your 👉 online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smudga wrote:

Last week an engineer replaced the 20 year old cable from street to my house. In doing so he removed my old landline (copper cable). 

I spoke to CS who said I simply needed an adapter for my hub 5, which I didn’t as my DECT phone plugs directly into the hub. Obviously no landline as nothing has probably been switched over on the VM side. 

I then received a text to say we’d be switched over on 21st November 2023, that’s 3 months away. 

I spoke to CS again who said they’d changed some settings on the backend and to allow 48 hours. I’m about to probably waste another morning trying to call CS…

Anyone else had this same issue or situation? If so, how did you solve it please? We can’t be without a landline phone for 3 months. 

Thanks

Shane

You have plugged into the TEL1 socket on the hub haven’t you. The TEL2 socket will not be live, & some people have made the mistake of plugging the RJ11 lead from a phone into one of the RJ45 Ethernet sockets, which they do fit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Let us know if you need any further assistance with this and we'll be happy to help.

Rob

@nodrogd wrote:
You have plugged into the TEL1 socket on the hub haven’t you. The TEL2 socket will not be live, & some people have made the mistake of plugging the RJ11 lead from a phone into one of the RJ45 Ethernet sockets, which they do fit.

Yes DECT phone is plugged into TEL1... engineer is coming today so I'll be able to update everyone on the actual issue and hopefully how it was resolved. My money is on the fact that I do not think VM has properly switched my area over to Digital/Fibre for phones yet...

Smudga
Tuning in

UPDATE…

VM engineer has just left, lovely guy, knowledgeable and friendly, was here all of 5 minutes. 

Basically problem was that the digital phone line hadn’t been activated… engineer couldn’t understand why this hadn’t been carried out by any of the 3 CS people that I’ve spoken to in the last couple of weeks. 

If this happens to you, plug your phone into the back of your hub and call VM to ask them to kindly activate the digital phone service.