cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial tone problems

n1ck
Tuning in

Over a week ago I was plagued with a constant stuttering voicemail dial tone when there was no message, an occasional dead line that would come to life if it was called and a badly crackling line during calls too.  I rang 150 and went all through the tests etc etc but it didn’t clear.  After a couple more calls, I was given an engineer visit.  He witnessed the problems and said they were none that he could fix and persuaded me to move from copper to broadband to clear the fault.   This was done on Weds this week by a different engineer, a new router 5 was fitted at the same time and a new pair of BT4000 phones.  Due to outages he could not leave me with everything up and working and I was told it would take an hour or so for my phone and broadband to go live.  It eventually came online in the very early hours of yesterday morning well over 12 hours later!  I had deliberately left messages on my free answerphone service to see if it would work when it came on line but there was no intermittent tone, just the standard continuous tone, even though dialling 1571 told me I had new messages.  I phoned the fault through and went all through the checks and reboots yet again but the operator could not fix the tone and said she would need to refer it on.  Having been out all day today, I picked the phone up on my return and knowing I had left messages I was pleased when I heard the stuttering tone and not the continuous dial tone that had been present.  I dialled 1571 to retrieve the 2 messages I had deliberately left and deleted them.  I was happy because I thought that everything was now OK but no, I do not have the standard dial tone that should be there with all messages deleted.  Yet again the stuttering tone is permanently in place and I have no messages!  What on earth can I do other than report it yet again, wait forever to get answered and then go through all the test cycles even though it does not seem the fault is with me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for clarifying n1ck,

We're sorry that you're still experiencing this issue, even after you have left yourself and voicemail message and deleted it. This normally resolves the intermittent dial tone issue.

Due to this, we will need to investigate this matter further for you, before I bring you in for a private chat, can you just confirm you can receive incoming calls and make outgoing calls as normal, its just the intermittent dialling tone that you have, even when you have changed your equipment over.

Is this correct.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi n1ck,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you're facing issues with the new fibre line, just to clarify on this matter regarding the tone, are calls still coming through and is the voicemail not accessible at al?

Regards,

Kain

n1ck
Tuning in

Sorry if I have confused.  Yes, as it is now, calls come through, if not answered the free voicemail activates, when the message is retrieved and deleted, the standard continuous dial tone does not follow at next use, the broken tone remains indicating a message when there is none.  I hope that makes sense? I have rebooted the router to no effect.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there,

Can I ask just to gain further clarification on the setup, is the phoneline connected through the adaptor?

Can the handset be connected without it?

Let us know,

Kain

The phone is a BT 4000.  The base station is connected to the Hub 5 router through the adaptor.  Hope that helps.  Thank you.

.. . P.S. (it is not the model with a built in answer machine).  This morning nothing has changed, the stuttering/broken answer machine tone is still present and there are no messages on the 1571 free voicemail.  I plugged an ordinary chorded phone into the adaptor, just in case it was related to the BT 4000 and it changed nothing, I still have the voicemail tone, no messages and no standard dial tone. 

Thanks for clarifying n1ck,

We're sorry that you're still experiencing this issue, even after you have left yourself and voicemail message and deleted it. This normally resolves the intermittent dial tone issue.

Due to this, we will need to investigate this matter further for you, before I bring you in for a private chat, can you just confirm you can receive incoming calls and make outgoing calls as normal, its just the intermittent dialling tone that you have, even when you have changed your equipment over.

Is this correct.

Kind regards Jodi. 

n1ck
Tuning in

Hi Jodi.  Yes I can receive incoming calls and I can make out going calls.  I just called the landline again twice to make sure.  The 1st call I answered - all OK, the 2nd time I let it ring out but voicemail did not connect, instead there was a very high pitched whistle!

n1ck
Tuning in

oh, and I still have the broken voicemail dial tones with no messages ....

Thanks n1ck,

We need to get this checked for you. I am going to pop you over a private message to take some details, please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat. 

Kind regards Jodi.