cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issue.

DERF444
On our wavelength

Posted before but no obvious solution. Up to yesterday with a lot of changing the DNS, manage to get it down to 17ms for Xbox X console fantastic, now what ever DNS I choose 153ms plus,what the hell is going on and yes I have done everything from unplugging everything to shutting down the mains in the house, please help,🤔

17 REPLIES 17

Oxo29
Dialled in

Instead of me posting very similar - I've got 153ms latency on brand new install. They turned up morning after install and ripped out long stretch of old cable and put thicker black cable underground.

Latency 153ms, was under 18 on Openreach.   That said, still getting Victory Royales on Fortnite so not to annoyed at mo.

Watching...

Changing from VM DNS to Google DNS or OpenDNS etc only makes a difference if the VM DNS is not working & that is rare.

Use the Realspeed test to measure the speed & latency from the Hub to the Public internet.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats in Latency / Jitter / Packet loss / Upstream rates.

You can try this test on a computer / mobile / in the web browser of the game console.

For comparison our VM connection has Latency of 15ms at the Hub.

DERF444
On our wavelength

Quick update, just before I turned off the Xbox last night, run a test and it was down to 25ms. What is going on?

DERF444
On our wavelength

I have run this test before with the same results as just now, latency to the hub 11ms, to the mobile phone 22ms. So when I hard wired ethernet Cat8 cable from hub to Xbox console over 10mtrs it reads anything from 17ms to 155ms, why?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The latency will vary depending how busy Virginmedia's local network is at the time. It will often be worse during peak times, usually during the evening. 

To monitor your local connection, set up a free BQM at  https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality, and post a Direct Link to this thread so that we can see it and advise.

There can be other reasons for poor latency but this is the most likely.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

JuicyGoomba
On our wavelength

The latency is just always bad, but the real issue is the packet loss on Virgin's network.

Either way, basic BT fibre to the cabinet and a copper wire to your home is significantly better for gaming.

Basically, choose Virgin if you do anything BUT play games.

You could well be right, but when I was with Virgin previously with a hub 3 I was getting consistently a 18ms latency and lower, now it's all over the place with Hub 4🤔

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Set up a BQM as advised. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi DERF444,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry for the issues you've been having on your Xbox. 

Were you able to setup the BQM?

How has the service been since you created the post?

^Martin