cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin media email account hacked

hertsmil
Joining in

my virgin media email account has been hacked i use a virgin media email address but receive them through Microsoft outlook when i try to view my emails i keep getting please log into your outlook account and put in password which i do but nothing happens i think i was hacked through my phone which i also use to view emails i am unable to view any emails and have been unable to contact virgin media to try and reset or change my password for my email account because of the way that virgin media want details and there is no option for what i want can anyone help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Having created a new third party email username for your VM email address you should now be able to go though the password change process to get a new password to use with webmail.  You will also need to generate an app password to use with Outlook or any other email client

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @hertsmil,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue, with your emails, can you confirm if you are having this issue when trying to log in directly through the webmail here?

Joe

thanks for your reply yes i am still having issues with my email and yes its from the web page above i have contacted virgin media and after a lot of playing around i had to set up a different email address with Gmail which is not something i really wanted to do all i wanted to do was change my password and keep my old virgin media email address which i still cant get access to keep getting send and receive error and password pop up box dont really want to change my email address its a lot of trouble 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Having created a new third party email username for your VM email address you should now be able to go though the password change process to get a new password to use with webmail.  You will also need to generate an app password to use with Outlook or any other email client

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi have tried what was detailed above but still unable to log into the virgin media section to change any details but thanks for your help

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So what error message do you see that is preventing you from logging in to the My Virgin media account for the email address concerned?  Remember that having changed the username to a third party email address you need to use that username together with the account password to sign in.

Hello,

yes still have no luck signing into my Virgin Media email account and yes it is using the link you put in the above post, it is frustrating because all i wanted to do was change my password and keep my existing virgin media email address now i have got a Gmail address and i will have to update all my other log in details with other sites because i cant get my Virgin media email to work i dont seem to be able to sign in any where on the virgin media site to change just my password and talking to virgin media on the phone was no help either just kept going round in circles with no end result, i will admit that i am find when every thing is working on my computer but as soon as things go wrong i am not a computer wizard if i could find a step by step list of what to do i might be ok, but when i was on the phone to the person at virgin media for nearly one hour i think that she thought that i new what i was doing and was going so fast that in the end i got very confused with still no end result and no virgin emails and a lot more trouble sorting out all my other log in detail to other web sites.

i am sure that its easy to sort out but i am unable to do it.

best regards

Andy  

Hi @hertsmil 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill