cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin email

karengardner
Joining in

I have an old virgin.net email. It has slowly become impossible to log in on my phone as it asks me if I want to download app.suite and will not let me progress further. I don't want to access it by app but even when I try to download I can't. I really don't want to change my email-is there a solution?

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@karengardner Is the virgin.net email address linked to a current VM broadband account?

If not that might explain your problems accessing it as it will be an orphaned account that should have been deleted some time ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

karengardner
Joining in

Ummm -yes it is an 'orphan account' as you put it but when you say it 'should have been deleted' I suppose that depends on your perspective. I really don't want it to be deleted as it has been my email address forever. will it be deleted at some point and will they give me notice?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@karengardner You can read more about the different reasons for email accounts becoming orphaned here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

VM don't give you additional notice beyond that contained in the account Terms and conditions as explained in the linked post.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Karengardener 👋 welcome to the community forum! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about these issues with your email. 

I'm sorry to say the community have advised you correctly. Sadly if the email address is not linked to an active broadband account it is 'orphaned' and so can be deleted at any time without notice. 

We can ensure that the account is locked and deleted for you, but we would not be able to support regaining access. 
You need the email address to be linked to an active services account, and an active My VM account in order to manage it's use with 3rd party mail apps, including generating secure passwords for these. There's sadly no way around this without an active account. As mentioned above it is outlined in our Terms and Conditions and you can also find this outlined further in our help page for manage emails here 👉 How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help .

Let us know if you would like us to contact cyber security to ensure the mailbox is locked and deleted for you, and we will send you a PM to confirm a few details. 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Dear Molly

Obviously I do not want it locked and deleted as it would cause me endless problems if it was.  It is my recovery email for all my policies and memberships and also has large amounts of sentimental content which I am trying to work through. 

Is there any way it could be linked to another virgin account so that it is not deleted?

I do feel that Virgin should at least give people individual notice given how crucial people's email addresses are to them. 

Yours

Karen

Hi Karen

We do completely understand where you're coming from and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Unless you do have an active broadband subscription with us in your name, we wouldn't be able to transfer the email address to another account without the account holder's permission.

It is stated within our terms and conditions that an email account not attached to an active broadband subscription will be deleted at anytime after 90 days of the broadband subscription ending.

We can only apologise

Beth