cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLworld email address - I'd like to close it

Charliew
On our wavelength

Hi, I remember reading that some ntlworld accounts were hacked into a few years back, and I would like to cancel this email account due to consistent phishing emails, etc. Could you help with this please?

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Charliew wrote:

I would like to cancel this email account

Can you please clarify whether you still have a VM broadband account.

If so, you should be able to delete the email account yourself as long as it is not the primary email address for your VM broadband account. Once you have clarified the situation regarding that email account I can advise accordingly.

If you are no longer a VM broadband customer, one of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange for the account to be deleted for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Charliew
On our wavelength

Dear Coenoby, thank you for you reply - I have updated my VM account to a different email address, and I can confirm that I have a VM package that includes broadband

I look forward to your reply 

Charlie 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Charliew wrote:

I have updated my VM account to a different email address, 

I have a VM package that includes broadband

Thanks for that update.

1) If the Ntlworld email account you wish to delete is a secondary email account on VM account then you can delete it yourself:

• sign into your main "My Virgin Media" account" (MVM. That's the one where you can view your VM bills and package details.
  • then go to the  Account settings page, then the Account details page
  • on that page scroll down and near the bottom of that page click on "Manage other virgin Media accounts"

You should see your Ntlworld address listed with the option to delete it.

2) If the Ntlworld address is the primary email account (the one you originally used to access your main MVM account before you updated it to a non VM email address) then there is a complication.

The primary VM email address for VM broadband account is effectively baked into the VM system. Updating your VM account to a non VM email address only changes the Username of the account. However, it seems that the design VM's systems still requires the original email address to be kept in place.

The most recent advice I saw from VM staff on the forum confirmed that it is still not possible (even for VM) to delete the primary VM email account for a live VM broadband account. 

One of the VM Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) will contact you via this thread either today or tomorrow. They will be able to give you the definitive answer.

3) Assuming it is not possible to delete this Ntlworld email account I would suggest that you update the password for the ntlworld email account to an extremely complex password to make it as difficult as possible for hackers.

Also you could consider setting up a filter rule in the webmail account of your Ntlworld email account as below. That means that no new emails will arrive in the account.

discard rule.png

In the meantime, keep an eye out for a reply from the VM forum team.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Charliew

Thanks for your post and welcome back to our community.

I'm sorry to hear your email account has been hacked.

I can assist in getting this closed for you.

I will send you a private message now.

Please look out for the envelope in he top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide