cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing VM email on Android

Smug1to
Joining in

Since VM changed their emails to need an underlying external email address, every time you want to connect to an external APP you will need to generate a new password EVEN if you can pick up VM emails in your VM dashboard.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

2 REPLIES 2

Smug1to
Joining in

I am struggling as well, i can access my email (via a new gmail ac) and new password on the VM dashboard but trying to re install it on my android is not working. When i use add account on my mobile i get a choice of exchange/google/IMAP or POP3 ..... I used to use IMAP .... but it does not seem to like it, putting it in manually should the server still be imap.ntlworld.com ....  i also tried imap.virginmedia.com    neither works with the new password set up recently ?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smug1to wrote:

Since VM changed their emails to need an underlying external email address, every time you want to connect to an external APP you will need to generate a new password

Just to clarify that; once you have generated a mail app password you should use that password in the email apps on all your devices.Once you have updated the password in your email apps you do not need to generate a new mail app password every time you access your VM email account via an email app.

If you are finding that you constantly have to generate a new app password each time you use your email app then I'd suggest you need to get VM involved because that should not be necessary. I have several apps accessing Ntlworld and Virginmedia.com accounts. Several weeks ago I generated a mail password for each VM account and since then all the apps have continued to work fine.

One other point to make is that the non VM email address that you specify for your VM account is only used as the account username when you access your VM account directly via the VM webmail service or via your My Virgin Media account.

You should still specify your VM email address as the VM account username in the settings of your email apps.

The fact that you now need two different usernames for your VM account is causing a lot of confusion. n my view It's a pity that VM adopted that approach but I doubt they will move away from that now.

I hope that clarifies things but if not please post back.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks